cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you normally "upgrade" cards upon request?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you normally "upgrade" cards upon request?

I'm interested in applying for a CapitalOne Journey card, which is for students; I'm thinking I'm more likely to get approved for it than other cards because I have little credit history. However, I'm really interested in the CapitalOne Quicksilver, which is nearly exactly the same but offers more cashback. If I have the Journey for a while and build my credit, could I call CapitalOne and simply ask them to upgrade me? If so, would I likely keep the same credit limit? And would it be on my credit report as a new card, or with the same data as the old one? I understand there's a bit of guesswork involved, but I'm trying to make long-term plans.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Can you normally "upgrade" cards upon request?

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm interested in applying for a CapitalOne Journey card, which is for students; I'm thinking I'm more likely to get approved for it than other cards because I have little credit history. However, I'm really interested in the CapitalOne Quicksilver, which is nearly exactly the same but offers more cashback. If I have the Journey for a while and build my credit, could I call CapitalOne and simply ask them to upgrade me? If so, would I likely keep the same credit limit? And would it be on my credit report as a new card, or with the same data as the old one? I understand there's a bit of guesswork involved, but I'm trying to make long-term plans.

No, certainly it's not automatic on request.  Most issuers have tiers of cards, and will have different requirements for the higher tier cards.   You can always request a product change, but there are usually time requirements (have to have the old card for a year etc) and you can be denied.  And some issuers have cards that you cannot change ever.

And Capital One is very strange, sometimes it's fine, other times "impossible"

If you PC (product change) you keep the same info on your report, so the new card has the same open date as the other.  Normally the credit limit would be the same, unless you ask for an increase at the same time.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't call, do the online chat.  There are several of us on here that received immediate yes no problem we can upgrade you to full Quicksilver via online chat.  So I would do that.  You can also ask for a CLI at the same time via online chat.  I think they'll say yes.  It's a softpull anyways so no harm.

Message 3 of 4
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

If you can get approved for the journey in my opinion you can get approved at the least for the Quicksilver one. If your going to take three HPs apply for a card you need for the rewards.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.