New Contributor

Can you re-open old credit cards that you closed?

Hello MyFico Family,

Before I got obsessed with my credit score, I never realized how important AAoA was to your credit. I had two First Premier cards which I hated due to their AFs. Because of this I closed both of them in Jan 2013. I had them both since 2007. Closing them really hurt my scores. Am I able to call them up and reopen these accounts and keep the original AAoA? Is it worth it since it is First Premier!? I am in process of getting a mortgage, so any score boost will help. Credit card wise, these were my oldest accounts. I was never late on these cards.

$7500____________$5000____________$9000____________$2000____________$1800____________$5500

Re: Can you re-open old credit cards that you closed?

Closing cc's a few months ago should not have hurt your score. Did your util increase? Also if you are in the middle of getting a mtg, you shouldn't be doing anything to your credit.
Senior Contributor

Usually when you close a CC the reps will tell that you will not be able to re-open the same acct but are always more than welcome to re-apply for a new acct. But IDK if thats the same with other banks.

Valued Contributor

09Lexie wrote:
Closing cc's a few months ago should not have hurt your score. Did your util increase? Also if you are in the middle of getting a mtg, you shouldn't be doing anything to your credit.

+1  even with those closed, they are still in your reports for 10 years :smileyhappy:

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Regular Contributor

AAoA is still being calculated on those closed accounts, so don't worry about them; the fees on those First Premier cards can be a bit excessive, so let them go, hopefully in good standing.

If your score went down, I can only guess it was because your utilization went up?

As for re-opening credit cards; its possible, but I wouldn't count on it. My Kohls card was closed and six months latter was re-opened, but then again that's a store card. 

Volpes wrote:

AAoA is still being calculated on those closed accounts, so don't worry about them; the fees on those First Premier cards can be a bit excessive, so let them go, hopefully in good standing.

If your score went down, I can only guess it was because your utilization went up?

As for re-opening credit cards; its possible, but I wouldn't count on it. My Kohls card was closed and six months latter was re-opened, but then again that's a store card. 

+1 to this.  To the OP...what other accounts do you have open now?  What's your UTIL like?

I definitely think reopening FP is a bad idea.

Start: 619 (Wally, 9/2013) | Current: 739 (Wally, 5/6/15)
AMEX BCE $13500 | Care Credit $10200 | JCP $8000 | Overstock $5500 | Citi DC WMC $5000 | Walmart Store $5000 | Amazon Store $5000 | Cap 1 QS $4750 | AMEX Costco TE $3500 | Macy's AMEX $3500 | Sony Card $3250 | Macy's Special Events $2900 | Macy's Revolving $2500 | CU Visa $2500 | Gold Violin $1750 | VS $1450 | Merrick $1200 | Target $1000 | ~~Gardening Since 3/17/15
Valued Contributor

My first question where are you getting your scores?  Are they FICO or Fako scores?

I would agree it probably has to do with your util and if you pay that down you should be OK when the new balances are reported.

Rethink every purchase you make, before you make it. Use the card with the best rewards. Pay in full each month. Redeem rewards often. Use the cards online shopping for more discounts. Smile, knowing that being thrifty allows you to actually get more out of the same amount of money!
Super Contributor

Closing credit cards will never hurt your FICO score unless your revolving utilization increases as a result of losing the credit limits:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Closing-Credit-Cards/td-p/347190

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.