Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you request a card upgrade?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can you request a card upgrade?

May be a dumb question but as someone rebuilding and finally getting somewhere, I don't have a lot of experience with having more than one card with a bank. I've had a Cap 1 platinum for years and recently they offered and gave me a Quicksilver card (albeit with a tiny CL). Should I leave both open? If I do combine them will I lose the age of the first card? I'm trying very hard to take the right steps now after doing all the wrong things for years.

Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would keep them both open. Creditors like to see more than 1 card reporting. I think they like to see Min of 4 (i could be wrong), it showes them you can manage your credit more. They like to also see things like loans if possible. But, I would not  go down to 1 card if I were you. 

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the replies everyone.  If I do get the card upgraded, does the age of the account stay the same or does it start over?  Does everything else stay the same as far as logging into the same site, same online payment system, etc?  I guess I'll try the online chat through Capital One and see if they will upgrade me from the Platinum to the QS.  I definitely don't want a HP on my report though, so I really want to make sure that they won't do one first.

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for the replies everyone.  If I do get the card upgraded, does the age of the account stay the same or does it start over?  Does everything else stay the same as far as logging into the same site, same online payment system, etc?  I guess I'll try the online chat through Capital One and see if they will upgrade me from the Platinum to the QS.  I definitely don't want a HP on my report though, so I really want to make sure that they won't do one first.

Everything stays the same. You're not applying for a new card or credit, just a product change. Your payment history and all info just transfers over to that new product change card I even think they give you the same numner card too. 

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yea the card numbers stays the same, the expiration date and 3 digits on the back will change though. Your login stays the same. No hp. Cap1 sp for PCs and CLIs.
Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

So they gave me the upgrade to the QS card today.  It was very simple and only took about 5 minutes through online chat.  Thanks for the info guys!  No my next problem is trying to get a CLI on the card.  For some odd reason Cap One is saying they can't access my Equifax credit report now... "credit bureau information missing or unavailable" - I tried calling 800-685-1111 but it's all automated... not sure how to get a human being from Equifax on the phone.  Anyone know why this would happen to my Equifax report and if it is simple to resolve?  Thanks.

Message 17 of 19
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So they gave me the upgrade to the QS card today.  It was very simple and only took about 5 minutes through online chat.  Thanks for the info guys!  No my next problem is trying to get a CLI on the card.  For some odd reason Cap One is saying they can't access my Equifax credit report now... "credit bureau information missing or unavailable" - I tried calling 800-685-1111 but it's all automated... not sure how to get a human being from Equifax on the phone.  Anyone know why this would happen to my Equifax report and if it is simple to resolve?  Thanks.

Don't hold your breath. It will probably be 6 months before you can get a CLI.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's already been over 6 months since my last CLI.  I'm confident they would give me one if they could just access my Equifax report... I just have no idea why they are unable to.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.