Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you request a card upgrade?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you request a card upgrade?

Not sure if any CC companies do this, but say you have had an entry level card for over a year and maybe have seen one CLI in that time but your credit score over that year has gone up 50+ points (and of course you've never been late and PIF every month) can you somehow request an upgrade to another card?  By this I mean getting your current card replaced with a "better" one without obtaining a HP? 

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can you request a card upgrade?

Capital One does product changes. I've seen posts where people are able to upgrade to a no annual fee card. I recently changed my C1 platinum card to a QuickSilver card. 

Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

BoA upgrades their platinum cards to Signatures if you meet the threshold. Probably $5000 but seems that the requirement is not so important these days.

Message 3 of 19
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Not sure if any CC companies do this 

Some do, some don't.  Some will with escalation.  Don't overlook prior threads as resources.

@Anonymous wrote:

maybe have seen one CLI in that time but your credit score over that year has gone up 50+ points 

It's never just about score.  A creditor will consider score but one's entire credit profile and income are considered when setting limits and granting CLI's.  Each creditor/product has its own underwriting critieria which also matter.  Don't rely on score alone as an indicator of the CLI you should receive.

Message 4 of 19
Taoron
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Not sure if any CC companies do this, but say you have had an entry level card for over a year and maybe have seen one CLI in that time but your credit score over that year has gone up 50+ points (and of course you've never been late and PIF every month) can you somehow request an upgrade to another card?  By this I mean getting your current card replaced with a "better" one without obtaining a HP? 

Discover does as well-- PC'd my Discover It Chrome to a Discover It. 

Also,  I'm not sure if this is a PC as much as an account combination.. but I combined my Barclay's accounts before.. you can do that on day one of the card if you wanted to. 

There are definitely more cards out there that can be PC'd that people have discussed here.

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

My current card is a Capital One Platinum.  Perhaps I can get the Quicksilver as suggested above.  I guess I'll contact Capital One and see what they say.  I'm wondering if they do OK it if the new card would start with the same CL as my current one or if they'd give me a bump at the same time.  It's been 6-7 months since my last minor $500 CLI from $3000 to $3500.

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes you can. I actually did it yesterday. I had a QS1 and a venture which I didn't want to pay both the fees on. Called and asked if I was eligible to upgrade my QS1 and was offered the no AF QS. Then I requested an account combination to close the venture so now instead of paying $100 in annual fees I now have a 13.3k no AF QS
Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My current card is a Capital One Platinum.  Perhaps I can get the Quicksilver as suggested above.  I guess I'll contact Capital One and see what they say.  I'm wondering if they do OK it if the new card would start with the same CL as my current one or if they'd give me a bump at the same time.  It's been 6-7 months since my last minor $500 CLI from $3000 to $3500.

It will be the same credit limit you currently have. Even the acct number will remain the same. You will just receive the benefits of that particular card you change to. So, for the QS, you will get the 1.5% cash back. You can always request a CLI, but they will not increase you because you switched products.

Message 8 of 19
Mattopotamus
Frequent Contributor

Like others said, you definitly can.  Something to take into consideration is that a lot of the "better cards" are Visa Signatures.  If you do not currently have a credit limit of $5,000 it make take a hard pull for a CLI even though the PC does not.

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Definitely PC to a QuickSilver thru online chat. It's very easy; I did this yesterday for my bf's very new Platinum. But since you said it's been 6-7 months since your last CLI, maybe request a CLI first then PC to the QS so you have a higher CL and better card. Your APR would most likely stay the same though but you'd get the 1.5% cash back w/ no AF.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.