cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you request increase in sign up bonus time?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can you request increase in sign up bonus time?

The idea for an Amex giftcard is so that the OP can shop at any store and so they are not just limited to staying with one store with a large amount of money (a few hundred).

Also if you use the free shipping code the total fees are only $3.95 for getting the Amex giftcard.

To me it seems like a way to "extend" the promo period because you're still shopping with an Amex card and you have an additional few years to use it all.
Message 21 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP why not prepay some of your bills that you will be paying in the coming months anyway?  If the company/merchant will not let you prepay with a credit card you can always use 'plastiq'.

Message 22 of 49
Subexistence
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

OP why not prepay some of your bills that you will be paying in the coming months anyway?  If the company/merchant will not let you prepay with a credit card you can always use 'plastiq'.

I live with my parents lol

Starting Score: Ex08-732,Eq08-713,Tu08-717
Current Score:Ex08-795,Eq08-807,Tu08-787,EX98-761,Eq04-742
Goal Score: Ex98-760,Eq04-760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

History of my credit
Message 23 of 49
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
The idea for an Amex giftcard is so that the OP can shop at any store and so they are not just limited to staying with one store with a large amount of money (a few hundred).

Also if you use the free shipping code the total fees are only $3.95 for getting the Amex giftcard.

To me it seems like a way to "extend" the promo period because you're still shopping with an Amex card and you have an additional few years to use it all.

I agree but of course the down side comparing to the non-possible "extending the promo" is that you have had to spend the money in the original timeframe.  Also, the Amex gift cards don't give the same protection as credit cards, so don't use for big-ticket items (or ones where you don't trust the seller).

But certainly a good solution for those with the money but without the ability to spend it quickly enough

Message 24 of 49
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
NRB - That's why I said can't confirm it but I suspect it should be the same. Some stores will not allow it just because or fraud concerns if someone steals a CC and buys that as a means to get money. But if a store does allow you to buy them, as long as they aren't the prepaid cards that are reloadable you should get the rewards points.

But just to be safe I'd recommend buying directly through Amex.

Sarge - Yeah I just like to have some backing so other readers can be certain this process is legitimate.

Yes, I do this every year to meet the $6.5K threshold on the OBC.    As Amex directly offers $3000 gift cards (for the same $3.95 fee as a $25 card!) this is generally the cheapest way even taking into account postage.

There is also usually no problem from Amex buying standard  V/MC/A cards from a supermarket.    But, if the OP is anywhere close to a $1000, consider buying one or more safe retail cards from a supermarket or drugstore, such as for Amazon or actual stores, that they can actually use.   No extra fees.

I have no idea whether this would work, but since Amazon takes Amex directly what about a gift card reload right on Amazon?

This certainly works, I did it on my CSR bonus spend (not the whole $4K!)  But as Matt4200 says, that ties up the funds with one merchant, albeit a fairly big one!

Message 25 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

Considering it in this situation would likely be about $300-$500 with the OP I wouldn't consider there to be many "big ticket item purchases". And there are a lot of protections for specifically the Amex Giftcards if you purchase with your Amex card as a courtesy to an Amex CC holder American Express will be more helpful with dispute resolution.
Message 26 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're making this way too hard do you have a friend room mate or co-worker with a cell phone bill? Have them give you the cash and you pay their bill online. That is like a MS on a local level lol
Message 27 of 49
Subexistence
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
You're making this way too hard do you have a friend room mate or co-worker with a cell phone bill? Have them give you the cash and you pay their bill online. That is like a MS on a local level lol

I can try that. Do you know if the promo code will make getting the gift card free? I just got the Amex giftcard deal on my card.

Starting Score: Ex08-732,Eq08-713,Tu08-717
Current Score:Ex08-795,Eq08-807,Tu08-787,EX98-761,Eq04-742
Goal Score: Ex98-760,Eq04-760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

History of my credit
Message 28 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the promo makes it effectively even. If you got to throw 5 to $7 away in fees to get $100 bonus then you gotta do what you gotta do.

If that's a brand new card isn't it a 0% for 12 months? You can carry a balance and still get your reward.
Message 29 of 49
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Sub, I think the simplest solution is to pay for a couple of things for your parents and have them pay you back with cash or a check. Go to the grocery store with them or something on that order.

Normally, I'd be concerned about someone buying unnecessary items to meet a sign-up bonus, but I think your "cheap" nature will preclude that. In the future, however, I'd time an app so it coincides with a purchase that will eat up a good chunk of the initial spending requirement. Or in the case of this particular card, had you seen the $150 back for $500 spend deal, that might have been a better fit for you.

Message 30 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.