Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you switch from Visa to Mastercard?

tag
slweal87
Contributor

Can you switch from Visa to Mastercard?

I have a variety of cards at this point but most of them are VISA and 1 Discover and 1 AMEX. Is there any way I can request a replacement card for the SAME account I currently have for a Mastercard just so I have at least 1 Mastercard? I have the Chase Freedom and I heard they have a Mastercard version. 

My VISA cards are:

Chase Sapphire

Capital One Quicksilver

Citibank Dividend 

Chase Amazon

Chase Freedom

I know there isn't really a difference, just thought it would be cool to have 1 from each.

Although I may just recon the Bank of America Better Balance Mastercard I just got denied on since the LACMA Museum in Los Angeles does a free entry day once a month for BoA cardholders. 

Otherwise I am just curious if this is an option.

1. WFCU Visa (2,000) 2. Chase Freedom (1,500) 3. Chase Amazon (300) 4. Chase Sapphire non-preferred (5,000) 5. Discover IT (3,500) 6. Capital One Quicksilver (3,000) 7. Citibank Dividend (4,300) 8. AMEX Costco True Earnings (5,000) 9. Barclaycard Arrival w/ AF (3,000) 10. Target REDcard (2,700) 11. Amex Blue Cash Everyday (10,000)
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: Can you switch from Visa to Mastercard?

When the time comes to apply.  I suggest applying for the Barclay Ring Mastercard. Then you would have a low APR card also in case you have to carry a balance.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@slweal87 wrote:

I have a variety of cards at this point but most of them are VISA and 1 Discover and 1 AMEX. Is there any way I can request a replacement card for the SAME account I currently have for a Mastercard just so I have at least 1 Mastercard? I have the Chase Freedom and I heard they have a Mastercard version. 

My VISA cards are:

Chase Sapphire

Capital One Quicksilver

Citibank Dividend 

Chase Amazon

Chase Freedom

I know there isn't really a difference, just thought it would be cool to have 1 from each.

Although I may just recon the Bank of America Better Balance Mastercard I just got denied on since the LACMA Museum in Los Angeles does a free entry day once a month for BoA cardholders. 

Otherwise I am just curious if this is an option.

Unfortunately, not an option to PC from Visa to MC on any of the above.  Chase doesn't offer the Amazon in MC.  Additionally, Chase is phasing out MCs & WMCs from their main CC product line up (only co-branded cards remain at this point).  For Quicksilver, you would have to apply for another CC, same goes for Citi unless it's moving from an elegible product that is discontinued and switched to another that offers MC.

Message 3 of 6
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

I am sure there are other places but the only place I know of where u can't use a visa is inside sams club. However at the gas station u can use it for some weird reason. I need a rewards Mastercard for inside which I hope someday I can get a cap one quicksilver with the annual fee.
AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 4 of 6
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

I don't know if they changed the process or not with chase freedom, but i was able to switch from visa to mc earlier in the summer. I sent an tweet to chase support. They were able to do it with no problem. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 5 of 6
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@mongstradamus wrote:

I don't know if they changed the process or not with chase freedom, but i was able to switch from visa to mc earlier in the summer. I sent an tweet to chase support. They were able to do it with no problem. 

Like FinStar mentioned, Chase is moving towards all Visa line up.  Your Freedom MC will eventually be replaced by Visa

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.