cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you use avios for other one world partners?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you use avios for other one world partners?

I've heard conflicting things on this. I've a bunch of amex MR points from by PRG card and am trying to decide how to use them. I basically only fly domestically, so BA itself isn't that useful to me, but can anyone confirm that you are able to transfer points to BA's avios and then spend them on American Airlines flights (or other one world partners for that matter)? I could also transfer them to delta eventually, but especially if I caught the 40% bonus before it ended, AA could end up being much more valuable.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Can you use avios for other one world partners?

@Anonymous wrote:

I've heard conflicting things on this. I've a bunch of amex MR points from by PRG card and am trying to decide how to use them. I basically only fly domestically, so BA itself isn't that useful to me, but can anyone confirm that you are able to transfer points to BA's avios and then spend them on American Airlines flights (or other one world partners for that matter)? I could also transfer them to delta eventually, but especially if I caught the 40% bonus before it ended, AA could end up being much more valuable.

Thanks!

You can't "transfer" them per se, but when you go to use them it will list AA flights that are available for your travel, and you can use them for a ticket on the AA flights. You need to do this on the BA website though, they won't "transfer" to AA. 

Message 2 of 18
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks!

Yes, there is a way to do this, but research it first because I believe there are some limitation when trying to book through partners.

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 3 of 18
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks!

Yes, there is a way to do this, but research it first because I believe there are some limitation when trying to book through partners.

i would open up an british airways executive club account and run some of the flights you would be taking to see how many points it would so you can see if its worth it to do 40% transfer MR to BA or stick with delta

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great suggestions thanks! I played around with pricing going Boston to Minneapolis. Looks like after the bonus AA with BA avios is still a little more expensive (27k MR+$30 vs 25K+$10). I can't tell if it's just the BA website being bad, but it also looks like the travel dates are spottier. 

Guess it's best to keep my points in MR for now since I'm not taking the trip until summer. I could always hope for a Delta transfer bonus, but from what I hear that's wishful thinking Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 18
koalablue
Frequent Contributor

I love Avios.  Avios awards are distance-based, even within the US, so for short-haul flights within the same "zone," such as LA to San Francisco, they're great.  Its only 4500 Avios each way, where for most airlines, such as United, the least amount of mile points is 10,000 each way.  I've never even used them to fly on British Airways, because they tack on huge fuel surcharges.  I believe you can avoid the surcharges if you use Avios on Ireland's Aer Lingus (they're a partner airline), which is a good way to use them if you're going to the UK.  The Noob Traveler blog has a ton of info about how to use Avios.

Message 6 of 18
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@koalablue wrote:

I love Avios.  Avios awards are distance-based, even within the US, so for short-haul flights within the same "zone," such as LA to San Francisco, they're great.  Its only 4500 Avios each way, where for most airlines, such as United, the least amount of mile points is 10,000 each way.  I've never even used them to fly on British Airways, because they tack on huge fuel surcharges.  I believe you can avoid the surcharges if you use Avios on Ireland's Aer Lingus (they're a partner airline), which is a good way to use them if you're going to the UK.  The Noob Traveler blog has a ton of info about how to use Avios.

hopefully that will still last since BA may be buying Aer Lingus pretty soon 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 7 of 18
bigbang91
Established Contributor

massive devaluation upcoming,baddd.!

Message 8 of 18
koalablue
Frequent Contributor

@bigbang91 wrote:

massive devaluation upcoming,baddd.!

No devaluation if you use them for domestic US flights on American, which is what a lot of people use them for!

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Avios only good for non-stop, short haul, domestic.
Boston to Minnesota falls into 2 category, but there is no direct flight from american airline. The only one I see is from Boston to Chicago.

Boston to Minnesota, you need to fly delta.

Amex MR to Delta point conversion will cost you federal tax. So you need to find a foreign delta partner, to avoid the tax.

Virgin Atlantic!!!!!!!!!

You can transfer your MR point to virgin Atlantic. Amex does transfer bonus, so look out for it. Use virgin miles to book delta awards flight.

Don't transfer MR to Delta skypeso, unless your transferring over 200k. The tax is up to $99.00.
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.