Did you mean: 

Cancel Amazon store card or not ?

tag
One7
Valued Contributor

Re: Cancel Amazon store card or not ?

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

i have had it for over a year , I used it once to buy a $20 book ! I really don't see my self purchasing anything else from Amazon ., and now that I have 7 other credit cards I really don't see much uses to it besides aaoa my oldest account is 2.8  and its a citi card  ., that amazon card Ive had since sept 2013 I have chase freedom and discover that offer cash back bonus on Amazon every year ... What do I do !? Does having a store card ding my score or help it !??? 

Keep the card... it does not hurt your credit.

You only have 7 cards; it's not like you have 17.   It's one of your older cards and will just keep getting older which is a great thing for cards.

People say "closed accounts will report 10 years".  I say, why not let it ride 5 years and let Amazon close it themselves.  So instead of getting just 10 years worth of reporting, you've gotten an additional 15 years of positive tradeline, AAoA

Does it make your socks itch when you leave it in the drawer? 

Also, login to your Amazon card account and press the request CLI button.  It is a soft pull and gives nice increases.  If you had been pressing that button every four months since 2013, you'd probably have a $4000 limit on that card by now.  Smiley Happy

Fantastic advice

EX 810 EQ 805 TU 792 Diners WEMC 15k Chase United Club VS 15k | Hyatt VS 25k | Ritz VI 5k | Frdm VS 6k | CSP VS 5k | Mariott VS 6k | Amzn VS 16k Citi ExecAA WEMC 18k | TYP VS 7k | Costco VS 9k | Hilton Reserve VS 6k | Best Buy Visa 5k BofA Travel VS 30k | Cash VS 41k | Merrill+ VS 46k Barclay Rwds WMC 6k | Hawaiin WEMC 10k | JetBlue WEMC 8k | Aviator S WEMC 6k Amex Plat: NPSL | BCP 8k | SPG 3k WF Rwds VS 9k | Propel World Amex 25k | Dillards Amex 2k BBVA NBA Amex 10k Cap1 GM WEMC 8k | QS Visa 3k | Saks WEMC 9k NASA 30k Discover It 7k | US Bank Cash+ VS 15k | Flex Perks VS 20k ||| Total Rwds VS 12k | SG Rwds 11k | Walmrt MC 8k | Lowes 17k | Bowflex 9k | J Deere 15k | TJ Max 4k | Care 15k | HDepot 20k | Amzn 5k | PPal Extras 8k | Chvron 10k | Macys 15k | JCrew 18k | Marvel 8k | Stash VS 8k | Cabelas 10k | Statefarm 12k | Nordstrom Visa 10k \\\\Gardening since January////
Message 11 of 18
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Generally store cards are high APR accounts that I/you should close if you don't use them and don't need them - that being said many of the cards that are backed by GE/Sync offer 6-12-18 month 0% APR on purchases (subject to minimum amounts).

Considering the multitude of products available through Amazon, I consider this the premier card for no cost financing and I use it all the time for 0% extended payment purchases. I really don't care about the higher published everyday APR's because I always pay before the promotional rate expires.

Based on my usage of Amazon - I'd vote to keep it open just for the option to use free financing if needed. Note too that my card went from $600 opening CL to $5000 in about 3 years mainly using the luv button, but with some auto-increases too.

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you think about it, Amazon is the easiest to keep open because there is no actual CARD, it's just an account that you can leave open and buy things when you want to.  It's not considered a subprime account by any means despite it being a store card, and you can get decent CLIs by hitting the love button, or especially calling the UW. 

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gdale6 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

i have had it for over a year , I used it once to buy a $20 book ! I really don't see my self purchasing anything else from Amazon ., and now that I have 7 other credit cards I really don't see much uses to it besides aaoa my oldest account is 2.8  and its a citi card  ., that amazon card Ive had since sept 2013 I have chase freedom and discover that offer cash back bonus on Amazon every year ... What do I do !? Does having a store card ding my score or help it !??? 

You should maintain 1 store card for mix of credit it gives you a little boost for having one. I would not close it till it passes 24 months of reporting its considered mature by Fico at that point.

Store cards are credit cards or charge cards and give you no additional boost beyond having any other credit or charge card. The original poster might benefit by keeping the line open as a utilization buffer or even just another positive TL. However, the fact that the Amazon card is a store card has no beneficial effect on his score beyond that which any other card with the same statistics (CL, utilization, age, etc) would have. 

Message 14 of 18
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

GOOD deals on Amazon......use the card and it will grow.   I think you have to use it though to get CLI.  It's a SP and a good utilization buffer.  I've never closed a card because I didn't need it......have had some store cards closed by the lender for not using, Target and Haverty's furniture.  I've worked to hard to get my credit rebuilt to throw back the cards that helped.  AF cards are another story I'm looking a chopping some of these.  I personally see no benefit from closing a card that isn't costing you anything.  

However, I am not an expert, maybe closing a card you are not using could improve your chances of getting a card you would use.  I would love to see some of the experts here comment as to whether or not closing one CL can help you get another CL.

Message 15 of 18
peaceonearth
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You're not paying any AF. I would just leave it alone.

Message 16 of 18
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@ecxpa wrote:

GOOD deals on Amazon......use the card and it will grow.   I think you have to use it though to get CLI.  It's a SP and a good utilization buffer.  I've never closed a card because I didn't need it......have had some store cards closed by the lender for not using, Target and Haverty's furniture.  I've worked to hard to get my credit rebuilt to throw back the cards that helped.  AF cards are another story I'm looking a chopping some of these.  I personally see no benefit from closing a card that isn't costing you anything.  

However, I am not an expert, maybe closing a card you are not using could improve your chances of getting a card you would use.  I would love to see some of the experts here comment as to whether or not closing one CL can help you get another CL.

Actually, yes.  The more conservative banks, chase included, have an internal limit of combined credit allowed.  Also, there are many in the camp that if you don't use it, close it.  IF you have a toy limit on several cards, and keep them open, your starting limits on prime cards are lower.  Also, manual review likes to see usage on cards.

I tend at this time to keep cards open and reporting for a minimum of 12 statements. The legacy Visa is on the chopping block when the 12th statement posts to my report.  The only reason.that oes schwab is still there, oldest account,  it's inactive, and created before the vast majority of folks were paying by internet.  But it's only one card.  Open date Jan 2007.  Conversely, my next card was opened May 2013.

Whether inactive cards help is another matter.  My AAoA for Transunion comes out at 2.2 years, while eq comes out at 1+ some years (don't remember exactly).  I also have a closed by consumer credit card on eq for capital one, that doesn't show up on my other reports.  It will hang out until 2017, I'll take it.

I truly believe that once past the rebuilding stage (scores over 700, 720, your personal preference), you should only keep the cards that are beneficial to you.  How bout some juicy new rewards or travel card coming out, just when your income increases enough to enjoy the benefits, but your multitude of no fee rebuilder commenity cards, synchrony cards hold you back on approval?  Or, when getting that business card with all the perks, including hidden trade line, they definitely want to see only credit you DO use, their limit is based off several factors, including available credit.  You want to consistently future proof your portfolio, and pruning is part of gardening.

Just my thoughts, but if OP only used the card for 20, and has no intention of using again, even the promos are not good, close the dang card. :-)

Signature needs updating
Message 17 of 18
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah, I had that situation - I opened an Amazon store card last spring only because I was making a rare Amazon purchase for $40 and during checkout that offered a $25 credit for opening the account. Never used it again. Amazon is OK, but I have a Best Buy MC that gives me ElitePlus status, free 2 day shipping w/no min. purchase + 5x points, so BB is a better deal for me. I decided to close the Amazon card last fall. Now that I've decided to put my house on the market this spring I need to spruce things up a bit, so I'm going to apply for a Lowes card, also issued by Synchrony, and I'll use that much more than I would the Amazon card. .

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.