Did you mean: 

Cancel CSP in anticipation of AF?

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Cancel CSP in anticipation of AF?

@longtimelurker wrote:

@SnackTrader wrote:
Done. Card is cancelled, credit line (all but $500) is moved to Freedom. Thanks for the input all!

And maybe in 24 months from opening  you can do it all over again!

Right, even Chase has decided the "once in a lifetime" sign-up bonus rule was too limiting for client acquisition.  Naturally, the CSP is on my horizon, again.

Message 11 of 24
joedtx
Valued Contributor

@SnackTrader wrote:
Done. Card is cancelled, credit line (all but $500) is moved to Freedom. Thanks for the input all!

Never done this before but CONGRATS on your cancellation Smiley Happy . Whatever works best for you is always the right decision.

Message 12 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Glad you made a decision and did what was right for you. Whats the line on your Freedom now?

Message 13 of 24
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

i have been contemplating dropping CSP since i still have ink plus for airline hotel transfers, I know its pretty shallow but i really do like the metal card feel. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 14 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mongstradamus wrote:

i have been contemplating dropping CSP since i still have ink plus for airline hotel transfers, I know its pretty shallow but i really do like the metal card feel. 

I want to app for it at the end of the year. Would like a metal card for a year but don't have much use after that for it.

Message 15 of 24
joedtx
Valued Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

Do whatever works the best for your finances if that means closing the CSP than so be it, also I don't think you are shallow for appreciating a card that both looks and feels like a quality product. I wish I could say the same about my Quicksilver card which has an ok design, but the flimsy second grade plastic is worse than the fake cardboard CC's that come in wallets.

Message 16 of 24
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

My Freedom line is now $16,500. I will work to update my signature next time I'm on my laptop.

I indeed hope to add this card (and its signup bonus) again. But if it doesn't happen, so be it. The card was excellent while I had it, including the personal touch of the U.S. based CSRs. I don't question anyone who keeps this card past the first year - what a good experience all around.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 17 of 24
noobody
Established Contributor

Got my bonus on 1/10/2013, it has been 26 month, 30K annual spending. should I cancel the card today and reapply tomorrow?
EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 18 of 24
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@noobody wrote:
Got my bonus on 1/10/2013, it has been 26 month, 30K annual spending. should I cancel the card today and reapply tomorrow?

You could try and it might work, but even a slow analyst on a bad day, on review, might conclude that this happens to look a little like churning!     It's also possible that they would reopen the closed card and not give a bonus.

I would suggest at least a little time between opening and apping.  (You closed it then realized how much you missed it)

Message 19 of 24
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@SnackTrader wrote:
Does anyone think this is completely crazy?

You have to determine what works for you and go with it.  If you're doing that it's not crazy.  The CSP may be popular but no card is one-size-fits-all.  If you don't have a use for it and can't justify the AF then there's no reason to keep it open.

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.