New Visitor
paulpepe

Cancel Card or Pay increased APR

I am caught in the dilema of paying an increase of 5% APR (from 16.99 to 21.99) on my old creddit card balance.  Never been late, never missed a payment and have been a customer for 15 years I have a $6,000 line of credit and have used all but $600.  I will be looking at a hefty increase in monthly payments. I have a heavy credit card debt but always have paid on time and alwats more than the minimum in order to try to pay my balances down.  Over the past  two lyears, I have chosen to close 3 credit card accodunts for the same reason and this is reflected in my FICA  score of 684.  But, I hate being squeezed by these banks when accounts  get  to the upper limits. How much more can my FICA score suffer if I close this card also?
Super Contributor
DI

Re: Cancel Card or Pay increased APR

Paulpepe- Welcome to the forum.  If that's the only card with a balance, your FICO score won't suffer at all for the next 10 years.  After ten years is when the tradeline risk getting deleted. 

At some point you're going to have to break the cycle and PIF.   If you don't, you're going to find yourself with no cards reporting if you close them all 

Community Leader
Senior Contributor
laz98

Re: Cancel Card or Pay increased APR

DI wrote:

Paulpepe- Welcome to the forum.  If that's the only card with a balance, your FICO score won't suffer at all for the next 10 years.  After ten years is when the tradeline risk getting deleted. 

At some point you're going to have to break the cycle and PIF.   If you don't, you're going to find yourself with no cards reporting if you close them all 

Or at least get balances under control.

Latest scores: Walmart TU: 766. MyFICO TU: ---. DCU EQ: 741. PSECU EX: 756.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+