Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancel First Premier?

tag
baskball33
Valued Member

Cancel First Premier?

I have two First Premier CCs one $750 CL and the other $700 CL.  These started at $300 and I get a $50-$100 increase yearly, so I've done a lot of work to build them up a bit.  I have a CapOne CC $750 CL (just received increase) and a Credit Union $2.000 CL, both opened 8/2010.

Now, the question...should I go ahead and close the First Premier CC's?  I've had them both for a few years, so I am worried I may take a hit because of credit history.  Is it really worth paying the fees (I think everyone here knows about that with FP).  My APR used to be 9.99%, but now it has jumped to 20.99%.  Personally, I don't see any reason to keep them any longer. 

So, any advice or thoughts???

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
mahendra82
Contributor

Re: Cancel First Premier?

It won't affect your AAOA. It just affects your utilization. 

In my opinion, you should close the card. The fees are outrageous. 

Message 2 of 9
ficonightmare
Frequent Contributor

Closing them won't impact your (yet) AAoA as they'll stay on your report for 10 years.

The only thing that may take a hit is your UTIL  But if you pay in full each month (or keep your UTIL low), it shouldn't make an impact.

But yea, I vote for closing cards that have a fee unless they serve a really good purpose. In your case, I don't see a reason not to close them.

Starting Score: 600s
Current Score: EQ 08 798 on 5/28/14, TU 792 on 5/27/4 via Barclay, EX 798 on 5/28/14
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 9
vish1
Valued Contributor

@baskball33 wrote:

I have two First Premier CCs one $750 CL and the other $700 CL.  These started at $300 and I get a $50-$100 increase yearly, so I've done a lot of work to build them up a bit.  I have a CapOne CC $750 CL (just received increase) and a Credit Union $2.000 CL, both opened 8/2010.

Now, the question...should I go ahead and close the First Premier CC's?  I've had them both for a few years, so I am worried I may take a hit because of credit history.  Is it really worth paying the fees (I think everyone here knows about that with FP).  My APR used to be 9.99%, but now it has jumped to 20.99%.  Personally, I don't see any reason to keep them any longer. 

So, any advice or thoughts???

I would have closed them the day I got my CU card.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 4 of 9
sleephla541
Regular Contributor

First Premier is trash.  Cancel them.  Smiley Happy

TU: 752, EQ: 761, EX: 745
Message 5 of 9
Tikora

They really really didn't want me to cancel mine.  I called last week, and they waived my fees for 6 months.  I'll leave them open until then.

Message 6 of 9
Open123
Super Contributor

In my view, you should cancel them, especially since they'll report on your aaoc for the next 10 years.  By then, whatever increase in age of accounts caused by the First Premiere dropping off would be negligible.

Message 7 of 9
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

It sounds as if they've served their purpose. You've built a history with them, and now you have two other cards that are as step up from FP. At this point, the APR and AF don't seem to be worth it. Cancel them, and feel good about being in a position to move on! Smiley Happy

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 8 of 9
creditguy-378
Regular Contributor

yea I'm with them I would go ahead and cancel FP but I would get 1 new card to add to the mix like discover or a great rewards program visa or master to start earning more positive credit  

always use credit wisely and you won't ever feel like you're working just for the task master
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.