Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancel credit card and reapply in future

tag
CardsLifeLine
Frequent Contributor

Cancel credit card and reapply in future

Hello all ... 

I have lots of cards as of now and with 740+ credit score. I applied for 50% of my existing cards to ripe welcome bonus and some exciting offers. I am quite confident that my utilization and AAOA will not impact if I cancel couple of them. I would really appreciate, if you can help me understand below queries and give some insight.

If I cancel/close my credit cards from Chase, Amex, Discover, Barclay, US Bank, GE store cards and others which I might have kept in socks drawer and plan to reapply for the same card down the line may be after 12 months or so :

1. will respective banks approve me ?

2. will I  be eligible for welcome bonus for the second time ?

3. will I go thru interrogation with a credit analyst and do I need to explain why I cancelled in past and why I am applying now ?

USBank Cash+(14K)/Penfed Rewards Visa Sigg (25K)/ Penfed Promise card (5K)/ Penfed Amex Travel Rewards card(20K)/AMEX ZYNC (NPSL)/AMEX Startwood(9K)/AMEX COSTCO(5K)/AMEX EVERY DAY (10K)/AMEX HILTON HONOURS (8K)/CHASE FREEDOM(4K)/Chase Salte(12K)/AMEX Fidelity Investments(7.5K)/BOA Better Balance Rewards(5K)/BoA Travel Signature Card (10K)/BoA rewards cards (15K)/AMEX MACYS(6K)/Barclaycard Rewards(3K)/Salie Mea (5K)/DISCOVER IT(7K)/ DCU VISA Platinum Card(7.5K)/PAYPAL MASTER CARD(8K)/GAP(4.5K)/US Bank Flex Rewards (6K)/ Best Buy (4k)/Gymbore Visa card(6K)/ TARGET(600)/CHILDREN PLACE(900)/WALMART DISCOVER(8K)/TOY R US MASTER CARD(8K)/JCP(4K)/KOHLS(400)– Total 31 Cards
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Re: Cancel credit card and reapply in future

Why cancel what you already have to reapply later? Hopefully this isn't to gain sign up bonuses again because the company has a choice in whether or not they honor them.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 2 of 6
CardsLifeLine
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the response .. do we know which companies will have concern and whcih will not .... as i asked in my initial post 

USBank Cash+(14K)/Penfed Rewards Visa Sigg (25K)/ Penfed Promise card (5K)/ Penfed Amex Travel Rewards card(20K)/AMEX ZYNC (NPSL)/AMEX Startwood(9K)/AMEX COSTCO(5K)/AMEX EVERY DAY (10K)/AMEX HILTON HONOURS (8K)/CHASE FREEDOM(4K)/Chase Salte(12K)/AMEX Fidelity Investments(7.5K)/BOA Better Balance Rewards(5K)/BoA Travel Signature Card (10K)/BoA rewards cards (15K)/AMEX MACYS(6K)/Barclaycard Rewards(3K)/Salie Mea (5K)/DISCOVER IT(7K)/ DCU VISA Platinum Card(7.5K)/PAYPAL MASTER CARD(8K)/GAP(4.5K)/US Bank Flex Rewards (6K)/ Best Buy (4k)/Gymbore Visa card(6K)/ TARGET(600)/CHILDREN PLACE(900)/WALMART DISCOVER(8K)/TOY R US MASTER CARD(8K)/JCP(4K)/KOHLS(400)– Total 31 Cards
Message 3 of 6
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

I believe all of them would have a concern with this kind of practice. It's offer chasing (looking for the new credit card sign up offer). Some companies don't honor sign up bonuses for "previous" customers. They are specifically geared toward new customers. I believe it's listed in most credit card application terms and agreements. Hopefully someone else can chime in with more insight into this.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 4 of 6
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@CardsLifeLine wrote:

Thanks for the response .. do we know which companies will have concern and whcih will not .... as i asked in my initial post 

Chase and Amex have lifetime bans for sign up bonuses

Message 5 of 6
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@CardsLifeLine wrote:

will respective banks approve me ? 

We can't answer that question regardless of person and creditor.  As indicated above, AmEx and Chase are not churn-friendly.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.