Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canceling AMEX

tag
mjban
Valued Member

Canceling AMEX

My AMEX Gold is about to enter it's first year, meaning that I will be charged the regular annual fee. I don't usually use the card, I've only spent 5K this year with it and my rewards are just $86 (not even the annual fee).

This is my only charge card, I just got (activated today) a BCP with a CL of 7K, I may be able to transfer points and continue my relationship with Amex. But it is recommended to have a charge card on my credit? How AMEX will see this? This is my second older card (OCT 2012), after my Cap One (OCT 2011). And I prefer going ahead and paying the fee than having negative effects on my score or with AMEX. 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Canceling AMEX

@mjban wrote:

My AMEX Gold is about to enter it's first year, meaning that I will be charged the regular annual fee. I don't usually use the card, I've only spent 5K this year with it and my rewards are just $86 (not even the annual fee).

This is my only charge card, I just got (activated today) a BCP with a CL of 7K, I may be able to transfer points and continue my relationship with Amex. But it is recommended to have a charge card on my credit? How AMEX will see this? This is my second older card (OCT 2012), after my Cap One (OCT 2011). And I prefer going ahead and paying the fee than having negative effects on my score or with AMEX. 

Thanks!

IMHO it won't be a negative 

If you don't and won't use it cancel it 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 6
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@mjban wrote:

Thanks!

IMHO it won't be a negative 

If you don't and won't use it cancel it 

Before you close the account you do have a couple of options.  Open a Amex blue and transfer the point into that account that way you don't lose the points and it has no AF.  Or product change to the senior green with a $35 af.  The blue is a revolver and of course you know that the green is a charge card.

Message 3 of 6
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

When I called to close my Green card earlier this year, they waived the $95 fee to keep it open. Maybe you can get them to credit the AF and keep it open for another year.
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 4 of 6
Crashem
Valued Contributor

No real negatives to closing, but use those rewards or get blue as suggested to save points. Given backdating, much less effect to closing and opening Amex. In fact you can reset your signup bonus timer.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 5 of 6
mjban
Valued Member

@frugalQ wrote:
When I called to close my Green card earlier this year, they waived the $95 fee to keep it open. Maybe you can get them to credit the AF and keep it open for another year.

I will try that, but did they ask you wahy you wanted to cancell it? what did you tell them? 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.