Did you mean: 

Canceling Amex card after 2 months?

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Re: Canceling Amex card after 2 months?

@Anonymous wrote:

Lurker,

I haven't reached the bonus and I think my time will run out soon.

The hilton bonus would be easier to get to for me, and I do stay at hilton quite often. I stayed at hamptons this whole summer, which makes me wish I had the card then. Smiley Frustrated

Careful, I learned the hard way that the no AF ED isn't as great. I got a mailer for it right after my BCE that I shouldn't have app'd for but I'm a narc and did it anyway.

Thanks all for your feedback, btw!

I don't know I use my everyday card quite often and am happy with it. I use it for groccery spend and small non-category purchases. For a no-AF card I have been very pleased with it and it lets me continue to keep all my MRs. I may upgrade to the everyday preferred at the 13 month mark, but I will need to take a look at where my spend will be for 2016 before I determine that. I absolutely would not close a card after having it for only two months. It just sends the wrong message. I'm happy with the card so I am going to keep mine long term since its no AF, but I'd recommend keeping it for at least a year before closing. If you just need to free up credit with amex you could refuce the credit line on it and throw it in sock drawer. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Canceling Amex card after 2 months?

Red, 

i thought that's how I'd be using it too! But the BCE kinda dominated it for me and I wanted to use a better cash back or points card for everyday spend. Hence why I want the citi dc and the Hilton cards. 

Im sure it's a great card and obviously it's doing well for you. But me, not so much. 

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.