Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canceling CSP and Ink Plus

tag
parakleet
Valued Contributor

Canceling CSP and Ink Plus

It's finally happened. DH and I've had the CSP (me) and Ink Plus (DH) for about a year and a half now and it seems that the cards are no longer worth the AF for us. We're mostly focused on paying down CC debt and have no plans on any specfic travel to look forward to. We've already used our UR points on two weddings this year and we're basically done with traveling for the foreseeable future. And we certainly don't have enough spend to justify the AF for the CSP/Ink plus. Our biggest expenses are groceries and DH just got a Amex BCP since we've hit the cap on my BCP. We also eat out a bunch but not enough to offset the AF for the CSP. It was a nice run while it lasted. The $95 AF just hit on my Citi AAdvantage visa so I called to cancel and Citi gave me a $95 statement credit as a retention offer. They also gave me a SP CLI from $6500 to $7900 so I took it since why not. We'll plan on cancelling the CSP and Ink in April before the next AF hits. I'm putting that in my calendar so I don't forget! It's just kind of funny because a lot of people here are really focused on getting new cards and I was that way too when I first joined myfico a year and a half ago. Now, I'm more focused on weeding the cards down to a more manageable number. I still probably have too many cards but most of them are in the SD. I'll continue to use the CSP for restaurants and maybe I'll find a replacement for the restaurant category next year. But it's also just nice to be able to use one card and just have one bill to worry about! Anyways, the only AF cards DH and I plan on keeping are the Amex BCP. Maybe when we're done paying off our debt and start to travel more, the CSP will be worth it. 

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

Re: Canceling CSP and Ink Plus

I totally understand where you are coming from.  No sense in keeping a card it it doesn't work for you.  I closed out 2 card earlier this year (for different reasons).  I put most of my spend on Arrival+ and use Discover for the 5x pts when that works. My daughter has a PRG that is just about to hit the 1 yr mark.  I will pay the AF for her because it is the only card she has in her name.  Not sure if she will keep it beyond the 2nd year.

Do what is best for your family and your goals.  Collecting cards should not be the goal. Sound financial management is what's impoartant, and it seems like you have your eyes on the prize. Good job!

Message 2 of 33
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re two BCP:  depending on your spend, the Blue Cash may make more sense. No AF.   For the first $6,500 a year you only get 1% (so this is like a de facto Annual Fee), but then it is uncapped 5% on groceries, gas and drugstores.

Message 3 of 33
parakleet
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Re two BCP:  depending on your spend, the Blue Cash may make more sense. No AF.   For the first $6,500 a year you only get 1% (so this is like a de facto Annual Fee), but then it is uncapped 5% on groceries, gas and drugstores.

That's a great option. We'll definitely have to do the math and see if that would be better. DH got the $150 signup bonus so we can definitely make the 2nd BCP work for the next year at least. It's weird that the Amex website makes it very difficult to find the Blue Cash card. It doesn't even give me the option to apply for it unless I'm in private browse. I wonder if Amex is planning getting rid of the Blue Cash since they're definitley not promoting it on their website. 

Gardening since 7/16/14
Message 4 of 33
UltimatE157

Are you sure about the AMEX Blue Cash Everyday card?  Their website says 3% up to $6,000, then 1% after that for groceries.  2% gas, etc.

https://www304.americanexpress.com/credit-card/blue-cash-everyday/25330?linknav=US:CCSG:BlueCashEver...

Starting Score: 680 Experian (11/2012)
Current Score: 762 Experian 04/15, 781 Equifax 04/15, 791 Transunion 04/15
Goal Score: 800 Reporting on all three

Message 5 of 33
parakleet
Valued Contributor

@UltimatE157 wrote:

Are you sure about the AMEX Blue Cash Everyday card?  Their website says 3% up to $6,000, then 1% after that for groceries.  2% gas, etc.

https://www304.americanexpress.com/credit-card/blue-cash-everyday/25330?linknav=US:CCSG:BlueCashEver...

I have the Blue Cash Preferred

Gardening since 7/16/14
Message 6 of 33
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@parakleet wrote:

It's finally happened. DH and I've had the CSP (me) and Ink Plus (DH) for about a year and a half now and it seems that the cards are no longer worth the AF for us. We're mostly focused on paying down CC debt and have no plans on any specfic travel to look forward to. We've already used our UR points on two weddings this year and we're basically done with traveling for the foreseeable future. And we certainly don't have enough spend to justify the AF for the CSP/Ink plus. Our biggest expenses are groceries and DH just got a Amex BCP since we've hit the cap on my BCP. We also eat out a bunch but not enough to offset the AF for the CSP. It was a nice run while it lasted. The $95 AF just hit on my Citi AAdvantage visa so I called to cancel and Citi gave me a $95 statement credit as a retention offer. They also gave me a SP CLI from $6500 to $7900 so I took it since why not. We'll plan on cancelling the CSP and Ink in April before the next AF hits. I'm putting that in my calendar so I don't forget! It's just kind of funny because a lot of people here are really focused on getting new cards and I was that way too when I first joined myfico a year and a half ago. Now, I'm more focused on weeding the cards down to a more manageable number. I still probably have too many cards but most of them are in the SD. I'll continue to use the CSP for restaurants and maybe I'll find a replacement for the restaurant category next year. But it's also just nice to be able to use one card and just have one bill to worry about! Anyways, the only AF cards DH and I plan on keeping are the Amex BCP. Maybe when we're done paying off our debt and start to travel more, the CSP will be worth it. 

Make Cash+ your restaurant replacement card. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 33
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@parakleet wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

That's a great option. We'll definitely have to do the math and see if that would be better. DH got the $150 signup bonus so we can definitely make the 2nd BCP work for the next year at least. It's weird that the Amex website makes it very difficult to find the Blue Cash card. It doesn't even give me the option to apply for it unless I'm in private browse. I wonder if Amex is planning getting rid of the Blue Cash since they're definitley not promoting it on their website. 

You can PC your BCP to the Blue Cash or PC any Amex Blue to Blue Cash. I don't know why so many people want to correct longtimelurker.. he certainly KNOWS about the Blue Cash card. Smiley Sad Oh well, can't make sure everyone knows what they're talking about unfortunately. It would definitely be a good option.. (The caveat being the first 6.5k of spend needed for everything to kick in for 5% there after, though.)

Message 8 of 33
parakleet
Valued Contributor

@KennyRS wrote:

@parakleet wrote:

Make Cash+ your restaurant replacement card. Smiley Wink

I wish! Alas, no US Bank locations for me to app. Smiley Sad 

Gardening since 7/16/14
Message 9 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@parakleet wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Saw this the other day and was not sure...what is private browse?  I was looking for that card too!

Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.