barbaralee
Established Contributor

Re: Canceling CSP and Ink Plus

@longtimelurker wrote:

@barbaralee wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@joedtx wrote:

That's roughly $1k a month on groceries for only 2 people????? Smiley Surprised

Part of "people spend money on different things".   Not sure why there is so much surprise around here

Because 1k a month for two people trying to get out of debt is crazy high... And I would not call it so much shock as gawking. My husband and I buy a lot of expensive cheeses, organic stuff, whole chicken, seafood, fruits and veggies, and we still manage to come in at right about $100/week without couponing. But then again we are not big eaters... We eat leftovers and a pound of shrimp can last us a week. 

But (and it's not clear if there is still cc debt) it depends on what else they are spending on.   Some people buy engagement rings, cars etc and so long as overall spending is in control, spending more than you do on groceries doesn't necessarily count as "crazy high".   

She said in her very first post it is CC debt:

"We're mostly focused on paying down CC debt...

I stand by what I say: For only 2 people on groceries, who also eat out a lot, 1k/month is crazy high. If you are talking about average grocery shopping, then yes, 1k is exceptionally high for two people.

I think you and I are saying different things: You are basically saying it is their perogative, it is what hey choose to indulge on. I can agree and appreciate that. All I am saying is that for two people that is ridiculously high.

Message 31 of 33
HiLine
Blogger

1k of groceries for 2 people per month is very high, I agree. At the same time, I can imagine someone spending that much. Imported ingredients can cost a bundle, groceries in NYC are ridiculously expensive, and physically active and athletic people do consume a humongous amount of food.

Message 32 of 33
parakleet
Valued Contributor

Ah, the wonderful internet when strangers feel comfortable trashing other people's spending habits.

Yes, my DH and I are paying down CC debt and we're managing our debt on our own schedule. I did say that we could spend about $12000/yr on grocery spend but I probably overstated our spend for simplicity's sake since I was talking about the spend on two Amex BCPs. Thus far in September, we've hit the BCP cap on grocery spend at $6400 and we do spend a little more during the holidays so maybe even accounting for that, we'll get to $9000 or $10000. Sure, we could probably pay off debt faster if we ate rice and beans but we choose not to. I'm sorry that some of you feel that's "ridiculous." Good thing I don't have to justify my expenses to you. 

We also don't have cable and we don't spend on entertainment other than going out to eat on the weekends. We also cook a lot. So those that are so "shocked" about our grocery expenses can maybe lay off the judgmental tone. My original post certainly didn't have anything that looked like I was soliciting people's judgments on our debt pay off plan or our spending habits. It was about the fact that the CSP and the Ink Plus no longer fit our needs. 

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 33 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.