Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canceling Discover

tag
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

Canceling Discover

Do any of you know the types of offers that Discover makes when calling in to cancel the IT card?

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Shelly313
New Contributor

Re: Canceling Discover

hmm that is a really good question!  What are you trying to get lower APR, a CLI?

Started Gardening 4/3/2014

Current Score: (04/2014) EX: 629 I TU: 650 I EQ: 654

In my Wallet:
Barclays NFL: $2000 I VS: $700 I Discover: $1600 I AU: Amex ED $2000
Message 2 of 25
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

@Shelly313 wrote:

hmm that is a really good question!  What are you trying to get lower APR, a CLI?

I rarely use the card, and I am able to cover the rotating categories with my other credit cards. For example, I always buy gift cards at Staples with my Ink card for fast restaurants and gas. I get the 5  x points per dollar, which I actually value more than the 5% on rotating categories from Discover. So I am leaning towards closing the account since I do not use it. But if they're offering some good retention offers, I'll keep it around Smiley Tongue

Message 3 of 25
Shelly313
New Contributor

When did you open it?

In my Wallet:
Message 4 of 25
CardsLifeLine
Frequent Contributor

They will not care about ur cancelation if they identify you with multiple cards. Risk department of discover flag customers with multiple cards That's what I came to know when I called to cancel my card and check possibility to extend 0% apr. Good luck.
USBank Cash+(14K)/Penfed Rewards Visa Sigg (25K)/ Penfed Promise card (5K)/ Penfed Amex Travel Rewards card(20K)/AMEX ZYNC (NPSL)/AMEX Startwood(9K)/AMEX COSTCO(5K)/AMEX EVERY DAY (10K)/AMEX HILTON HONOURS (8K)/CHASE FREEDOM(4K)/Chase Salte(12K)/AMEX Fidelity Investments(7.5K)/BOA Better Balance Rewards(5K)/BoA Travel Signature Card (10K)/BoA rewards cards (15K)/AMEX MACYS(6K)/Barclaycard Rewards(3K)/Salie Mea (5K)/DISCOVER IT(7K)/ DCU VISA Platinum Card(7.5K)/PAYPAL MASTER CARD(8K)/GAP(4.5K)/US Bank Flex Rewards (6K)/ Best Buy (4k)/Gymbore Visa card(6K)/ TARGET(600)/CHILDREN PLACE(900)/WALMART DISCOVER(8K)/TOY R US MASTER CARD(8K)/JCP(4K)/KOHLS(400)– Total 31 Cards
Message 5 of 25
Shelly313
New Contributor

OP I would just SD if it, too keep your TL history open, a long with having your UTL.

In my Wallet:
Message 6 of 25
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

@Shelly313 wrote:

When did you open it?

I opened the account about a year and a half ago. The cards that you see listed on my sig are the ones that I use on a constant basis. I also have a Wells Fargo and Macys card. But I rarely use those as well. So I do not list them. But I am not sure if they will offer anything if I call to cancel the card. I put no spend on the card whatsoever haha. Maybe like 9 dollars here and there. 

Message 7 of 25
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

@CardsLifeLine wrote:
They will not care about ur cancelation if they identify you with multiple cards. Risk department of discover flag customers with multiple cards That's what I came to know when I called to cancel my card and check possibility to extend 0% apr. Good luck.

Thanks. I only have 8 cards in total. 1 store and 7 credit cards. And canceling this one would bring me down to 7. I'll call either today or tomorrow and see what they say. 

Message 8 of 25
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

-

@heyarrnold wrote:

@Shelly313 wrote:

I rarely use the card, and I am able to cover the rotating categories with my other credit cards. For example, I always buy gift cards at Staples with my Ink card for fast restaurants and gas. I get the 5  x points per dollar, which I actually value more than the 5% on rotating categories from Discover. So I am leaning towards closing the account since I do not use it. But if they're offering some good retention offers, I'll keep it around Smiley Tongue

I really want that ink card but i dont have a business Smiley Sad. I buy free after rebate stuff at staples for premire status so I can recyle more ink every month, then sell the free after rebate stuff. Its not a bad profit at all. But right now I only get 2% back with my chase amazon Smiley Sad. Plus i get the 5% back in staples rewards so in theory I get 7% back cause staples cash is just as good to me. But 10% back would be amazing. 

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 9 of 25
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

@bigblue7722 wrote:

-

@heyarrnold wrote:

@Shelly313 wrote:

I really want that ink card but i dont have a business Smiley Sad. I buy free after rebate stuff at staples for premire status so I can recyle more ink every month, then sell the free after rebate stuff. Its not a bad profit at all. But right now I only get 2% back with my chase amazon Smiley Sad. Plus i get the 5% back in staples rewards so in theory I get 7% back cause staples cash is just as good to me. But 10% back would be amazing. 

I do not have a business at the current moment either. Well, I do and then I don't. My father is retiring this year and is handing down the family business to me. However, none of it is yet under my name. I applied to the card knowing that the business would be mine this year, and I was approved without a problem. Maybe you should try to apply as well. Chase did not ask me for anything. Maybe I just got lucky. 

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.