Reply
New Member
tomcatant1
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎05-05-2013
0

Canceling Oldest Credit Card Misinformation

So I did a lot of reading about canceling credit cards because I wanted to cancel my two oldest credit cards. They we're horrible cards low limits and high interest rates. (First Premier and Capitalone) All the advice I found said the exact same thing, "Don't cancel your oldest credit cards because it will lower your average age of accounts". Tiered of carrying bad cards that I could do nothing with, I cancelled them both. I have had them for about 8 years each so I was really worried about the impact that it would have on my credit score. I was shocked to find out that my credit score actually went up 20 points! How could this possible happen. Well I realized that the average age of account is not calculated based on your oldest credit card, it based on your oldest account period. It doesn't differentiate between revolving, installment, mortgage or even closed account. Because of this my oldest account was actually a student loan that was taken our my freshman year in college. It is still listed as my oldest account and thus my Aaoa wasn't drastically effected. So if you have student loans or any other account, their age actually helps your Aaoa. If you want to cancel your oldest credit card and you have older student loan or any other type of account do it. No use being stuck with a bad card if you don't have to be. 

 

 

If you were wondering my credit score are 

767 EX FICO (Pulled last week by AMEX)

785 EQ FICO 

770 TU FICO

 

Community Leader
Senior Contributor
myjourney
Posts: 26,659
Registered: ‎02-07-2013
0

Re: Canceling Oldest Credit Card Misinformation

Welcome to the forum

 

Open or closed accounts doesn't matter both still count for a 10 year period

"Intelligence plus character--that is the goal of true education"
Last 5 apps 6/13


New Member
tomcatant1
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎05-05-2013
0

Re: Canceling Oldest Credit Card Misinformation

Yeah I know they do. That's basically what I was trying to say when I referenced closed accounts. Thanks for the welcome. 

Established Contributor
KIPPIE12
Posts: 620
Registered: ‎05-09-2009
0

Re: Canceling Oldest Credit Card Misinformation

+1

Current Score: EQ: 807 TU: 811 EX: 813 (Fico) 8/14
Goal Scores: 760 Across all 3-Finally


Citi TY Premier 36k| Discover 15.6k|BOA WMC 30.5k|Barclays Juniper Rewards 15k|Barclays Amex 20k| CapOne 15K|Chase Freedom VS 19.3k|Citi Dividend WMC 25k|FNBO 15.5k|CSP 22.1K|Chase Marriott 31.3k|Citi TYP 20K|Citi DP 16.5k|Sams Discover 10k|Chase IHG Select Visa 26k|Macys 5k|Sams MasterCard 10k|Barclay Arrival Plus WEMC 10k|Chae IHG WMC 26k|Citi Double Cash 10k|Chase MileagePlus Explorer 14k
Valued Contributor
FocusedAndDetermined
Posts: 6,439
Registered: ‎01-05-2013
0

Re: Canceling Oldest Credit Card Misinformation


myjourney wrote:

Welcome to the forum

 

Open or closed accounts doesn't matter both still count for a 10 year period


...and sometimes longer.  I have one closed account still reporting that is well beyond a decade old.  I'm not complaining!

Moderator
Shogun
Posts: 12,952
Registered: ‎04-15-2011
0

Re: Canceling Oldest Credit Card Misinformation

I have a car loan that was paid off in 1995 that is still reporting on mine.


Starting Score: 504

July 2013 score: EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!
Valued Contributor
bs6054
Posts: 1,673
Registered: ‎11-11-2012
0

Re: Canceling Oldest Credit Card Misinformation


Shogun wrote:

I have a car loan that was paid off in 1995 that is still reporting on mine.


So a question I hadn't really thought about before.   I was looking in more detail at my three CRB report.    There is one old mortgage that is correctly marked as closed by 2 bureaus, but as open (with $0 balance) by the third.  All note it was sold or transferred, including the one marking it open.  And it does appear in the "current" area of the report rather than "current closed".   And all payment history ceases in 2008.

 

So I assume that the mortgage company isn't still reporting this as open to just one of the bureaus, but I am not sure how this is happening!  Did the bureau miss an "account closed' notification?

 

Established Contributor
Simply827
Posts: 742
Registered: ‎10-15-2012
0

Re: Canceling Oldest Credit Card Misinformation

Yes OP, but I think you may still be confused about how AAoA works. True it does count all types of accounts, but open and closed accounts are counted as well. Closing a card doesn't affect your AAoA, whether you have an older account or not.


Starting Score: 515
Current Score: EQ 689 EX 703 TU 707
Goal Score: 700+

PSECU $10000 | Discover IT $9250 | Barclay Ring $6500 | DCU $5000 | Citi DC $4600 | Amex BCP $4100 | Chase Freedom $4000 | PayPal Extras MC $3000 | US Airways $2000 | Cap 1 Platinum $1700 | Cap 1 QS One $1500 | Union Plus $1000 | Target $200
Valued Contributor
indiolatino61
Posts: 1,483
Registered: ‎11-10-2012
0

Re: Canceling Oldest Credit Card Misinformation


tomcatant1 wrote:

So I did a lot of reading about canceling credit cards because I wanted to cancel my two oldest credit cards. They we're horrible cards low limits and high interest rates. (First Premier and Capitalone) All the advice I found said the exact same thing, "Don't cancel your oldest credit cards because it will lower your average age of accounts". Tiered of carrying bad cards that I could do nothing with, I cancelled them both. I have had them for about 8 years each so I was really worried about the impact that it would have on my credit score. I was shocked to find out that my credit score actually went up 20 points! How could this possible happen. Well I realized that the average age of account is not calculated based on your oldest credit card, it based on your oldest account period. It doesn't differentiate between revolving, installment, mortgage or even closed account. Because of this my oldest account was actually a student loan that was taken our my freshman year in college. It is still listed as my oldest account and thus my Aaoa wasn't drastically effected. So if you have student loans or any other account, their age actually helps your Aaoa. If you want to cancel your oldest credit card and you have older student loan or any other type of account do it. No use being stuck with a bad card if you don't have to be. 

 

 

If you were wondering my credit score are 

767 EX FICO (Pulled last week by AMEX)

785 EQ FICO 

770 TU FICO

 


Welcome to myFICO. 

 photo Logo-CreditCardCollection-DataInclusive_zpsf395b751.jpg
Community Leader
Valued Contributor
improvingmycredit
Posts: 1,402
Registered: ‎07-12-2011
0

Re: Canceling Oldest Credit Card Misinformation

[ Edited ]
+1 @Simply827
Welcome to the Forums!!! @tomcatant1!
Here is a good link about how closed accounts affect FICO. Closing an account in itself does not affect your AAoAs. The account still reports for 10 years. ( most of the time). AAoA factors in ALL accounts- closed or open still reporting. Because not all of the same accounts report on all CRAs, your AAoA can be different on all 3.
Hope this helps.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Closing-Credit-Cards/td-p/347190

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSP 20.5K, TotalRewards 20.5K, QuickSilver 20K


myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}