Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canceling cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Canceling cards

I should have listened to you guys when yall said to not apply for cards just to have cards now i find my self with 13 cards and i honestly barelly have any need or find a justifiable reason to at least keep in rotation like 7 , here is my list of cards in AAOA order , which cards would you keep or cancel and why ?! 

Citi Double Cash (converted from diamond pref)

Bofa Cash (useless but have a 0% APR BT until 2017)

chase freedom (use it for amazon , gas , and department stores when bonus categories come around) 

amazon store card (use it occasionally , i never purchase anything over $50 on aamazon anyways)

chase slate (finished BT offer now its SD)

discover it (use it during the holidays or the gas bonus is around)

united mileage plus (will keep around because of the lounge passes and free luggage)

hilton amex (useless but swipe it every once in a while to get hilton points but now i found out i can use MR's at hilton)

AAdvantage Aviator (obviously only applied for bonus , now useless)

Chase Sapphire Preffered. (Stupid me SD'd it before time and failed to get bonus) 

Amex ED (taking advantage of the 20% bonuses)

Marriot Visa (will keep just for the free night , maybe buy some bubble gum once a year to keep active)

Amex PRG(newest card , new workhorse card until i meet bonus spend and beyond) 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Canceling cards

I would cancel anything I dont use or need. You seem to have a handle on what is and isnt useful for yourself already. Keep the useful then close the rest and be done with it!

Message 2 of 3
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Canceling cards

I think you pretty much know deep down what you get use out of, going by your list. If a card no longer suits you, just close it. Yes, you may take a small score hit for utilization, but realistically nobody can tell you if that's going to happen unless you are closing one out of only two cards, etc.

For reference, I've always just closed cards when I felt like it and never noticed a score drop because of an account showing as closed. If your utilization is already low the imapct is likely to be minimal or nothing.

So just move on and yes, next time, don't collect cards. Go for cards that actually suit your spend. For low to moderate spend, spreading it across 13 cards is a waste. Even my spend spread across my 7 cards is way too thin and I will consolidate.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.