Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancellation of secured card

tag
mkhan6349

Cancellation of secured card

Hello,

I have two secured cards one from Capital One issued in 2011 with $200 limit and one PNC issued last year with $350 limit. I initally opened these accounts to build my credit but now I don't have any use for them as I have established enough credit and have cards with $6000+ limits. I want to know if closing these secured cards will have bad affect on my credit report?

Thank you,

Muhammad

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
manwoot
Frequent Contributor

Re: Cancellation of secured card

Long story short, they will continue to report for 10 years.

For more information and a more indepth explanation, check out this thread:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Closing-Credit-Cards/m-p/347190?jump=true

Message 2 of 3
IamB2
Established Contributor

Re: Cancellation of secured card

@mkhan6349 wrote:

Hello,

I have two secured cards one from Capital One issued in 2011 with $200 limit and one PNC issued last year with $350 limit. I initally opened these accounts to build my credit but now I don't have any use for them as I have established enough credit and have cards with $6000+ limits. I want to know if closing these secured cards will have bad affect on my credit report?

Thank you,

Muhammad

In the short term, it should not affect it in any way. There is a very comprehensive guide on how to close your accounts on these forums..

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Closing-Credit-Cards/td-p/347190

Read that post and you will learn how to do it the right way which will lessen any impact it may have.

FICO® EQ 717 (3/5/15); TU08 732 (3/5/15); EX: 723 (3/5/15) - Last app 3/15/15; Inquiries: A TON!

CITI ThankYou Preferred - CL: $2,000

Starting Scores: 590s on 12/2013. Hover over card image to view details! *After Amex approvals - [I was supposed to be] Gardening!*
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.