Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelled Amex card

tag
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Cancelled Amex card

I called today to cancel my Amex Hilton card since I just got the Surpass and it didn’t make much sense to keep both. I fully expected to talk to a CSR and possibly get a retention offer. In this case, though, it was completely automated.

Is it just for certain cards that a request to cancel gets you sent to retention? Do I need to specifically ask for a CSR?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
SkyCommander
Frequent Contributor

Re: Cancelled Amex card

I'll be doing this soon. From information I've gathered for possibly getting my own retention offer you have to talk to an actual rep. Sometimes calling a couple times until you get someone that can offer something. When I called to cancel my United card with Chase I spoke to a rep and they straight cancelled it no questions asked even with 3 years membership. 

Chase Hyatt | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase Freedom Unlimited | Amex ED | Amex Hilton | Amex Bonvoy | BoA Amtrak | CapOne Quicksilver
Message 2 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

You normally have to speak to a rep and if you really want a retention offer, use a phrase like "I am considering closing... " or "I am not sure of the value of...." rather than "I want to cancel" as you can always run into a helpful rep who will close it for you as soon as they hear that.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it's pretty cut and dry now a days.. if the CSR does not see a retention offer on your account they will just close it.
Message 4 of 10
wasCB14
Super Contributor

There is (or used to be) a number to reach the retentions dept directly. I got it from a CSR in chat in 2015 but haven't used it since then (and forgot the number itself).

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 10
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

In my case it worked out OK anyway.  I fully intended to cancel the card, mainly because I wanted to have one less revolver for my next Amex app, and the Surpass card made it completely redundant anyway.  However, when my chargers (PRG and green) come due next summer, I wanted to explore the option of keeping them if they have an offer for me.  I'll know to say "representative" when that time comes.

Message 6 of 10
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

If I remember correctly, a member of this board who used to work for Chase has posted that when the customer service reps call up your record on their screen, they see an internal score assigned to  the cardholder by the bank.  This is not a FICO score, but a score that the bank uses to measure your value to them as a cardholder.  If your score is not high enough, you will not get a retention offer.  I'm sure Amex operates the same way as Chase.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 7 of 10
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

@MrDisco99 wrote:
I called today to cancel my Amex Hilton card since I just got the Surpass and it didn’t make much sense to keep both. I fully expected to talk to a CSR and possibly get a retention offer. In this case, though, it was completely automated.

Is it just for certain cards that a request to cancel gets you sent to retention? Do I need to specifically ask for a CSR?

Did you transfer over as much credit as possible before closing? I think you're allowed to do so with Amex when closing a card.

Message 8 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Hi MrDisco, how can we help you today? You can anything from "Representative" to "Account balance"....Smiley Wink
Message 9 of 10
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Yeah I’d already transferred most of the limit over to my new Surpass card. It only had a $1000 limit when I cancelled.

My Surpass approval was for $3000 so I suspect I may be reaching my ceiling with Amex. Hopefully I have enough room for one more revolver approval.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.