Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelled Capitol One

tag
remarc
Regular Contributor

Cancelled Capitol One

I did it.. After years of low CL... Excuse after Excuse for reasons as to why they can't increase my credit limits or upgrade my card. Terrible phone support and CSR's that call me MR. Mark and can't understand my questions, reading from a script ... I cancelled my cards with them.. 

I have enough Sub prime cards now not to worry and IM gardening for 6 to 8 months so when all said and done I should be good...

They had no hesitation to cancel my cards.. Which is fine and once I pay my BBRZMC down to 0, which is now Capitol One I will be closing that too.. All these cards have Annual fees and not worth the effort.. The only thing that does kinda suck is my level of credit line will drop down a $1000 or so... 

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Cancelled Capitol One

@remarc wrote:

I did it.. After years of low CL... Excuse after Excuse for reasons as to why they can't increase my credit limits or upgrade my card. Terrible phone support and CSR's that call me MR. Mark and can't understand my questions, reading from a script ... I cancelled my cards with them.. 

I have enough Sub prime cards now not to worry and IM gardening for 6 to 8 months so when all said and done I should be good...

They had no hesitation to cancel my cards.. Which is fine and once I pay my BBRZMC down to 0, which is now Capitol One I will be closing that too.. All these cards have Annual fees and not worth the effort.. The only thing that does kinda suck is my level of credit line will drop down a $1000 or so... 

1K isn't that bad if your overall util. is decent. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 19
Mike360
Frequent Contributor

Congrats! I'm gonna cancel mine early next year.

Message 3 of 19
drkaje
Senior Contributor

If a company doesn't grow with you, it's time to say goodbye.

From what I've read here, Cap 1 rarely moves people up from whatever tier the initial approcal was at. Have seen posts where people couldn't get a CLI forever but were appoved for better Cap1 cards.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 19
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

i am cancleing mine this year once i pay them both off

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 5 of 19
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Once again, I must put the business model of Capital One into question. I own a business so I naturally have that kind of mentality when I consider seemingly counterproductive behavior from companies....even large successful ones like Capital One. 

If I was a higher up at Cap1 with a seat at excecutive meetings and the ear of the CEO and/or VPs, matters like this would be on my mind and I would do some real investigating into it to see the true benefit to the company's growth and make serious reccomendations. Perhaps it's been done already and there is a logic to it but I'm quite skeptical.

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 6 of 19
remarc
Regular Contributor

Right Ztnjpv.... I do not understand how they contuct business. I had two cards with them.. I was never late in payments and always used the card everymonth, Sometimes I paid in full and others I left a small balance. I did this for 3 years. 

I called many times to ask about upgrades or higher CL. I pointed out to the CSR that I wish to build a future with capitol one by growing with them regarding cards and CLI just like I was doing with other Sub Prime cards such as Discover etc, it never seemed to matter to them.. I always got the same response and generic script reading.  It always seemed to me as though they never really listening to my concerns and queries. It was one reason or another that I could not get any sort of change to my account... After a year of using the card & PIF when I asked for CLI the CSR kept saying " Your account is not eligible for manual review" ... 

All I see is that they want you to keep applying for more cards and unless you fit there unknown criteria nothing ever seems to change. Too boot I hated calling them .. That's why Discover is awesome in my eyes.. Unmatched customer service. 

If only someone from capitol one took the time and read the comments and personal opinions from this board they would be in shock at how frustrated we all are with Capitol One.. They must be loosing customers hand over foot.. I expect on the flip side they are attracting new people to credit like no tomorrow.

Anyway rant over.. 

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have two Cap1 cards.  Cap1 Rewards opened 2009 and Cap1 Plat opened 2011.  Both started at 500, six months later they were 750 and there they sat...  Now last year I was so aggravated with Cap1 that when the AF came due I was going to dump the Rewards card and keep the plat until it was 2, then dump it.  Before I made that call, I got my statement and my CL jumped to 3750.  I was shocked!  I was in awe!  I think I had a minor stroke.  So obviously I did not cancel it last year, it was my highest CL card.  Well the plat is going to be 2 in less than a year and even if they do a repeat, it is gone.  The two card limit makes it impossible for me to get any preapproval from them for one of their cards that is really prime.  The Rewards card has been put in the SD, since I was able to recently get better cards.  I will keep it another year just to help my overall limit, but its days are numbered as well.

Last year, or the year before I remember reading people that said they had Cap1 cards with 5k or 10k limits.  They have to be prime cards.  I am still amazed they jacked me up to 3750!

Message 8 of 19
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

they arent going to change ever. its a rotating cycle with them. they are the easiest card to get with zero credit history and not too shabby of af. people are forced to rebuild crawl back to them and millions of students turn to them for credit. i simply look at them to use to build then get out. USE THEM in other words lol. they arent going to sweat people cancelling them. IMHO they are prob the best when it comes to sub prime and they do come in handy if needed to rebuild

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

What rootpooty said +1.  They are using you, so you may as well use them.  By the time you qualify for a real prime card with them, you are in a position where you do not want to be hit with a HP on all 3 CRAs.  Now if they did a SP on all three or even just a single HP, they might have more people that will stay with them. 

Who wants a Cap1 card (and deal with Peggy) when you can qualify for a AMEX, Discover, Chase, Citi, BOA or any of the other major CCCs?

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.