cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling Amex Green after 2 weeks, please advise

tag
surfingcards

Cancelling Amex Green after 2 weeks, please advise

So I was approved for Amex green less than a month ago. My FICO was 621 at the time of approval, I don't have any baddies I'm simply a newcomer to the States and don't have much history.
So here is my dilemma: amex sent me a pre approval letter, I applied and was approved.
Now, around 3 weeks after I was approved they sent me another letter offering me bonus 25k points if I apply for green card and charge $1000 in the first 3 months.
I called the rep, annoyed at such a good offer, and asked if they could apply this offer to my existing green card since I'm a member for less than a month.
He said: Nope, we made a mistake to send you that since you're already a member!
That really pissed me off... Usually when you buy something at a large retail chain and immediately after your purchase they decide to lower the price- they'll usually match it and give you some refund or a voucher.
What do you guys think, should I just swallow it or..? I'm just wondering if anybody had a similar experience...
Not really impressed with their customer service, they were completely disinterested in my case
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Cancelling Amex Green after 2 weeks, please advise

Welcome to the forum. Promos and sign up bonuses are mass mailed by marketing. You cannot equate the item going on sale to receiving a marketing email. Sometimes you can get lucky and sending a secure message with the relevant information.

American Express is a good company and IMO you shouldn't cancel a card because the sign up bonus will not be applied retroactively.
Message 2 of 9
parakleet
Valued Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
Welcome to the forum. Promos and sign up bonuses are mass mailed by marketing. You cannot equate the item going on sale to receiving a marketing email. Sometimes you can get lucky and sending a secure message with the relevant information.

American Express is a good company and IMO you shouldn't cancel a card because the sign up bonus will not be applied retroactively.

+1

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 3 of 9
surfingcards

All I wanted to know. Thank you for your help!
Message 4 of 9
Capya
New Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

+1

Also, you should call back and try another CSR.  If that doesn't work, use the instant messaging or email on their website.  If that doesn't work, try calling again Smiley Very Happy

Starting Score: 573 (Exp 10/12)
Current Score: 767 (Exp 6/13)
Goal Score: 700+ I Crushed it!!!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

@surfingcards wrote:
So I was approved for Amex green less than a month ago. My FICO was 621 at the time of approval, I don't have any baddies I'm simply a newcomer to the States and don't have much history.
So here is my dilemma: amex sent me a pre approval letter, I applied and was approved.
Now, around 3 weeks after I was approved they sent me another letter offering me bonus 25k points if I apply for green card and charge $1000 in the first 3 months.
I called the rep, annoyed at such a good offer, and asked if they could apply this offer to my existing green card since I'm a member for less than a month.
He said: Nope, we made a mistake to send you that since you're already a member!
That really pissed me off... Usually when you buy something at a large retail chain and immediately after your purchase they decide to lower the price- they'll usually match it and give you some refund or a voucher.
What do you guys think, should I just swallow it or..? I'm just wondering if anybody had a similar experience...
Not really impressed with their customer service, they were completely disinterested in my case

Welcome to the forum

Same thing happened to me but being an Amex customer in my eyes was worth saying oh well you win some you lose some after all it wasn't part of the offer I applied for.

I was willing to take the HP had planned on getting the card so yes I was disappointed but it's not worth giving the card up IMHO

I'm now a member of a  well established company for future growth, cards and bonuses. 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 6 of 9
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Call the Executive Office for AMEX.  If you cancel your card and reapply, you won't get the bonus.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 7 of 9
bribro
Valued Contributor

AmEx, unlike Chase, is not very good about matching offers after you've already been approved for a card. There have been plenty of reports about people raising hell and receiving at least some of the "missing" points, but YMMV. It will be tough since you're a new to credit and don't have a track record of heavy usage to use as leverage.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 8 of 9
surfingcards

Thanks to everybody for their words of wisdom. You probably prevented me from doing something stupid.
I'm just surprised that they can slip like that (its not really an end of the world big deal), not even a month after signing up with them they send me this sweet deal.
All I can say is - lesson learned. I'll bolster my credit score and wait for the right offer, I certainly won't be jumping the gun like I did with my first lean offer from amex.
I was to greedy to get it I guess, almost nonexistent credit score and a mere 9 months of credit history so it hit me in the head
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.