cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling Chase cards through secure message?

tag
jasonkm1
Regular Contributor

Cancelling Chase cards through secure message?

Have you guys been able to cancel cards through a secure message or internet chat? I know was able to close my Capital One via chat but was wondering about Chase cards. I've been rethinking my finances and got a little carried away with collecting travel points and would like to cancel some cards without any ackwardness of having to talk to a live operator.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
msbia
Established Contributor

Re: Cancelling Chase cards through secure message?

Hi there,  I've never cancelled through SM and I cancelled four Chase cards this year. Did you not want to keep the limits and move them to an active card? If so, you will have to speak to lending. Personally I feel better talking to a live person and knowing the task has been completed at the end of the call. None of the Chase reps made me feel awkward. I cancelled two Amex cards through chat last month too. Good luck and I know the feeling of getting carried away lol. 

Personal Credit? Check. Business Credit? Check.
Mission Accomplished.
Thanks MyFico!
Message 2 of 12
amakol
Regular Contributor

Just call. The CSR will forget / never care about your call as soon as the call/shift's over and it'll build your confidence for later.

As for the actual question - would doubt SM would work. They usually need to read you some terms and have you confirm, which is why chat and its 2-way dialogue is fine. Unless they have you SM them back, which might be the case. It's complicated considering a 1 minute call.

EQ 740 FICO, 4 INQ | EX 736 FICO, 5 INQ | TU 745 FICO, 5 INQ | CL $175K | AAOA 4 Years
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Usually they will just ask why. Tell them you are not going to use the card or something like that and they will close it out. Move your limit to another open card if you want. The call isn't that bad.

Message 4 of 12
jasonkm1
Regular Contributor

thanks guys, yeah i guess calling wouldn't be so bad. And in my case I won't be asking to move my limits to an open card, I have too much available credit for my income and I worry it will have some kind of negative impact if I need to get a loan or something in the future.

Message 5 of 12
Jansroom726
Regular Contributor

I have cancelled 3 previous chase cards all through SM no problem.  Smiley Happy

25 years old. Scores around 740. Income = 45K. Chase Car Loan @ 2.4%, AAOA = 2 years. Total Personal CL = 120k.
Message 6 of 12
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

make sure you consolidate to other chase cards you are going to keep if you have one!

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can definitely move limits and close cards via Chase SM.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can but as someone suggested, consolidate and call them.  The call should not be longer than 5 minutes.

Message 9 of 12
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You can but as someone suggested, consolidate and call them.  The call should not be longer than 5 minutes.

Right, but OP wants to reduce exposure so no plan to consolidate.    

In general, the major downside to closing via SM is that you don't (usually) get the chance for a retention offer, but if that is of no interest, closing via SM is fine.

But,as others have said, usually not a big deal to talk, the CSRs really don't care and certainly don't judge!

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.