Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling Credit Cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cancelling Credit Cards

@Anonymous wrote:

That is risky. Applying for another card to replace the one you already have. You could get declined, get a lower limit if approved. Plus your credit history is short. How much is the annual fee? I think you're better off leaving well enough alone by keeping your existing card and letting your file get more history.

That's why I'd apply for the new card(s) first, starting with the other airline card that actually has benefits he could use. Then if he can get a second US Bank card he could just move the limit over from the annual fee card, end up with a higher limit and no fee. Of course if they decline then that's not going to work, but he did say that his scores were in the 720-30 range I think, so I would assume he should have a decent chance? 

In any case, I think I'd say to apply for the Asiana card regardless, if you'll be using the airline and could benefit from the perks then it's probably worth it. If you get approved for that then you can think about what to do with the older card, no particular rush there, and if it's denied then I'd definitely keep the old one open desite the annual fee.

Message 21 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cancelling Credit Cards

@Anonymous wrote:

This is what I would do in this situation (based off the info you have given, OP):

1. App for the card you truly want now.

2. Wait to cancel the current card til just before the annual fee hits. Use it for small charges & pay in full til then. It's free additional history for your thin file. 

That's a very good point, waiting until the annual fee hits I mean. Even if he decides to cancel it there's no need to do so prior to the fee.

Message 22 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.