cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling a secured cc that is no longer needed.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cancelling a secured cc that is no longer needed.

I would like to cancel my Capital One secured cc in order to get my $1000 security deposit back. I no longer need or use this card as I now have 3 Fico scores of 750 to 760 and now have 5 non secured cc's with Chase being the highest with a 22k limit. However the Capital One card is my oldest by about 8 months compared to my next oldest cc.which is non secured.  What sort of a ding point wise can I expect if I cancel the secured card? It would be nice to get the $ 1,000 back, but maybe not worth dropping score. Capital One will not convert to non secured they said. One has to cancel  this card  Dont need and then apply for a non secured  card. Which I will not do as I have no need for more cards or lines of credit.. Any good advice?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Cancelling a secured cc that is no longer needed.

Welcome to the forum 

No need and it won't hurt you in any way 

So have at it and get your funds back for a better return on your $$$$$$$$

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 4
NichelleN
Established Contributor

There are more experienced people here who can give answers. But, I'll chime in since I canceled a Cap One secured card last year. It has not impacted my score at all. It was my oldest card but since it was a positive account with a perfect payment history it still factors into my average age of accounts. The only result from canceling is I gained an extra $3k in my bank account from getting my funds back.

Good luck.

More than enough credit.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks to all for prompt feedbacks. Much appreciated. Think I will take the plunge and hope for not too much of a score drop.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.