Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling my Cap One Platinum Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cancelling my Cap One Platinum Card

Excellent replies and recommendations. I have tried on 3 occasions this year to PC it to a QS but they simply will not do it and I'm really not sure. As for merging it into QS, it's all or nothing, they won't move just a portion of the CL.

For me, I will just keep on pressing to PC it to a QS and maybe they'll finally break lol.

Message 11 of 14
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

I was able to get them to just give 1.5% cash back on my ex's old platinum card that's 20 years old.  They did it through chat.  Sot it's now a Wold MC with a 30K limit and 20 years old with 1.5% cash back and no annual fee.

Sometimes you need to not ask for a specific product, just tell them what benefits you want - 1.5% cash back and no annual fee ever.  Worked like a charm for me.

Then of course I would move the new credit lines to this old card.

I added two Venture cards for 20K, and then merged them into the old Platinum.  It's now at 50K, 1.5% cash back, no annual fee.

Tell them the rewards you want, not the product you want.

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

I was able to get them to just give 1.5% cash back on my ex's old platinum card that's 20 years old.  They did it through chat.  Sot it's now a Wold MC with a 30K limit and 20 years old with 1.5% cash back and no annual fee.

Sometimes you need to not ask for a specific product, just tell them what benefits you want - 1.5% cash back and no annual fee ever.  Worked like a charm for me.

I added two Venture cards for 20K, and then merged them into the old Platinum.  It's now at 50K, 1.5% cash back, no annual fee.

Great idea! I will give that a shot in the next couple of days.

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

Hmmmm  I may go that rout in 6m when my new cards can transfer. The VO and QS have a higher APR than my old plat.  I will try to get a CLI on those new ones and then transfer. I will ask to get special rewards onto that plat. Although, a few years ago, they called me and i believe they upgraded the plat to a VO. The actual card is a Venture, but if you look at my acct online it still says plat?? I also get travel miles, so I am not sure if it still is a plat??? Anyways, it would be beneficial to trans to the old card with the APR alone.

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.