Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot PC from Sapphire to Freedom as per Chase executive office

tag
GeneralCucumbre
Regular Contributor

Cannot PC from Sapphire to Freedom as per Chase executive office

So, I called the Chase Card Services Executive Office (from the number in the sticky thread attached to this forum) in an attempt to convert my Chase Sapphire card to a Chase Freedom card because I find the 5% categories more appealing.  I was told by the representative that it IS NOT possible to convert from a Sapphire to a Freedom.  I asked why and she simply said that is "what the system is telling her".  Hmm...okay.  I thanked her for her time and then we ended the call.

Should I try to be persistent with this a little further or is this the final decision since I did speak with someone in the executive office?  Is there another specific department that Chase has that specifically deals with product changes?  Can I speak to somebody higher up?  Just trying to see if anyone had a similar experience and has some input.

AMEX Green Corporate - NPSL | AMEX Everyday - $60,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited Visa Signature - $49,500 | Chase Freedom Visa Signature - $27,300 | USAA Platinum Visa - $26,000
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

Re: Cannot PC from Sapphire to Freedom as per Chase executive office

I was also told you couldn't PC from the freedom to the CSP because it is in a different family of cards, just my experience.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 2 of 8
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

How old is your Sapphire?

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 3 of 8
GeneralCucumbre
Regular Contributor

@SwiftTone wrote:

How old is your Sapphire?

I opened it in April 2012.  Could that be why?  Is the card too new?

Chase Freedom Unlimited Visa Signature - $49,500 | Chase Freedom Visa Signature - $27,300 | USAA Platinum Visa - $26,000
Message 4 of 8
drew11
Regular Contributor

I thought I remember reading awhile back and being told (although I may be wrong so don't take my word too seriously) that you could only PC from Freedom to Sapphire after you've had the card for over a year (I'm assuming you'd also need over a year to PC from Sapphire to Freedom). It came up because if you were desperate enough to get the CSP but got denied and the recon wasn't successful you could mention PCing your year-old Freedom to it instead and that would work.

01/04/17 Equifax FICO 788
01/04/17 Experian FICO 789
01/04/17 TransUnion FICO 784

Amex BCP $24,000 | Chase Freedom: $13,000 | Chase SR: $35,000 | Discover IT: $20,000 | PenFed Platinum: $32,000
Message 5 of 8
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@drew11 wrote:
I thought I remember reading awhile back and being told (although I may be wrong so don't take my word too seriously) that you could only PC from Freedom to Sapphire after you've had the card for over a year (I'm assuming you'd also need over a year to PC from Sapphire to Freedom). It came up because if you were desperate enough to get the CSP but got denied and the recon wasn't successful you could mention PCing your year-old Freedom to it instead and that would work.

I think this refers to "Freedom to CSP" (rather than plain sapphire), which is going from no AF to an AF card, and thus might come under the provisions of CARD, preventing a change for 13 months.   Not sure if it also applies going from fee to no fee, but I though OP was talking about Sapphire to Freedom, which is no fee to no fee.

Message 6 of 8
GeneralCucumbre
Regular Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

but I though OP was talking about Sapphire to Freedom, which is no fee to no fee.

Correct, this is just a plain Sapphire (not Preferred) that I would like to convert to Chase Freedom.

Message 7 of 8
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

It's true that the CARD act does not allow a card to go from no-AF to AF within a year. But its very much possible that JP Morgan Chase has it's own policy regarding PC on accounts. I had to wait 1 year when I PCed my Slate to Freedom. I spoke to the Executive Office at around 4 months and told me to call back after 1 year. One the 1 year mark passed, I called the same lady and she was able to do it for me no problem.

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.