cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap 1 - $1.00 "Charge Adjustment" in my favor?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap 1 - $1.00 "Charge Adjustment" in my favor?

I've got a Cap 1 account that I was planning on letting a $1.00 balance report every other month or so, in order to show the account as active to FICO. However, seems Cap1, in a very odd showing of benevolence, applied a $1.00 credit to the account to show a $0.00 balance...

I'm partly intrigued, slightly annoyed, but mostly wondering what the minimum they'll let report? $2.00? $5.00? Would they always credit the remainder? Would they save this up and eventually hit me with a "nick-nack" fee?

Anyone else ever see this?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
ajh5408
Contributor

Re: Cap 1 - $1.00 "Charge Adjustment" in my favor?

Many issuers will do these small balance adjustments for $0.99-ish or lower balances... I think Discover used to do it up to $1.99, but I'm sure it has changed since so many people receive statements digitally now. They will not hit you with a "nick-nack" fee, but it can also be done the other way around if you have a small credit on your account, or they could just close your account if you were abusing it..

Message 2 of 5
7ate9
Valued Member

This has happened to me as well with my Capital One card on more than one occasion.  I'm not sure what their motive is, but every time i try to let a $1.00 balance get reported, they throw in a Charge Adjustment.  I haven't been able to get a straight answer out of them about why though.  I know it's technically "free money", but I really wanted to see the effect on my score instead...lol

TU08 740(1/20/16)

Last app: 06/19/2015
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

CapOne always lets my $3 membership fee report lol.
Message 4 of 5
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Keep in mind that it costs lenders money to collect payment. So typically lender will just write off the debt if it is so low like below $1.00.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.