Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap 1 -Account combination-No luck for 1.8 years

tag
GetMeSlick
Established Contributor

Cap 1 -Account combination-No luck for 1.8 years

trying to do the Cap 1 account combination. but i m struggling with cap 1 on merging the accounts for last 1.8 years. i have QS Visa($5.5k) and QS MC($3k). i only use QS Visa for BT purposes and occasional purchases. I kept the QS MC at $0 balance thinking of account combination.Smiley LOL

But this Cap 1, computer system or CSR just sucks doing that(always says, your account is not eligible despite fulfilling all required criteria Smiley Frustrated). No luck for last 1.8 yrs

Anyone had luck on account combination with Cap 1?

4/2024 FICO TU-840|EX - 838|EQ -840
Total Credit - $535K+
Starting Score: 640
Current Score: 840
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Gardening since Mar/2024
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap 1 -Account combination-No luck for 1.8 years

umm, have not heard this happening before unless there was a balance on the card or less than 6 months...which in your case it isn't.  I would just pick up the phone and call.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Message 2 of 17
GetMeSlick
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

umm, have not heard this happening before unless there was a balance on the card or less than 6 months...which in your case it isn't.  I would just pick up the phone and call.

or is that because of QS VISA and MC types?

Total Credit - $535K+

Gardening since Mar/2024
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@GetMeSlick wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

or is that because of QS VISA and MC types?

Don't think so, call and find out

Message 4 of 17
ls2016
Frequent Contributor

@GetMeSlick wrote:

trying to do the Cap 1 account combination. but i m struggling with cap 1 on merging the accounts for last 1.8 years. i have QS Visa($5.5k) and QS MC($3k). i only use QS Visa for BT purposes and occasional purchases. I kept the QS MC at $0 balance thinking of account combination.Smiley LOL

But this Cap 1, computer system or CSR just sucks doing that(always says, your account is not eligible despite fulfilling all required criteria Smiley Frustrated). No luck for last 1.8 yrs

I have the same problem as OP. Every time I call, the CSR tells me to wait until after the next billing statement cuts, which still doesn't work. However, my daughter and I have had our accounts for the same amount of time, she's able to combine, I'm not, although based on the criteria, I should be eligible. One account is a year old, the other one is 8-months-old, same as daughter's accounts. $0 balance, always PIF & on-time. I've summed it up to Cap 1 not liking my profile, which is totally different from my daughter's clean, thin file. She's able to combine, whereas I'm not, only difference is clean vs. dirty profile. That's just my assumption, since Cap 1 doesn't give a straight answer.

Current FICO 8s: Ex 768, Tu 741, Eq 741
Current FICO 9s: Ex 775, Tu ?? Eq 781
Total TLs: $120,000
8 (30-60 day) mortgage lates and 2 (30 day) auto lates remain from Jan., Feb. 2016
Current Mortgage Ex. Fico 2 787
Message 5 of 17
driftless
Valued Contributor

My wife was able to combine instantly, it took me a while as well.  I was never able to get a straight answer why not from any of the CSR's that I spoke or chatted with.  My guess is that if you have any CLI or PC one of the low tiered cards in six months that will result in the inability to combine.  

CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Account Combination feature is buggy. You should contact the EO and voice your discontent; maybe if enough of us complain, they'll change their policy and allow manual account combination. If you meet all the listed criteria for combination, it's either an IT glitch or an opaque policy that's limiting your ability to combine.

I had the exact same problem recently with my three personal Cap1 cards. Two of them had an annual fee so I wanted to combine the CLs into my no-AF card. I wrote a snail mail letter to the President of the credit card division and eventually got a response from a very friendly assistant in the EO. She tried to figure out what was going on but in the end couldn't provide any explanation or resolution as to why the Account Combination feature didn't work for me. I closed the two AF cards at that point. Not a huge loss as they had small CLs, but the process is maddening. Other lenders are able to accomplish a combination so much more seamlessly than Capital One, where the answer to everything seems to be "if the algorithm won't do it, you're SOL."
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@GetMeSlick wrote:

Any luck?

Message 8 of 17
GetMeSlick
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@GetMeSlick wrote:

Any luck?

Not yet. i didn't tried after posting this. Will call the customer care  this week and check.

Total Credit - $535K+

Gardening since Mar/2024
Message 9 of 17
907grown
Established Contributor

Just keep trying. I had that same problem for a solid year, year and a half. I just kept requesting combination anytime I'd log in and out of no where, boom one day, the combination went through.

Starting Score: 460
Current Score: EQ 764, TU 764, EX 740,
BOA AK AIR 30,000, Discover IT 6300, Freedom 25,300, Barclays RMC 15,660, Ring 15,000, BCE 15,000, QS17,000,AARP 15,000, ChaseFU 8,000,AND A LOT MORE!
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.