Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap 1 Advice. wait for CLI or combine?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap 1 Advice. wait for CLI or combine?

Hopefully someone can give me some sort of idea on what I should do here. So I have 2 Cap 1 Quicksilver's both opened 02/2016.  One was a Platnium turned Quicksilver the other is just a Quicksilver.  Both started at 300 went to 800 after 3rd statement cut then Steps kicked in 08/2016 and now the lines are 1300 each.  I was fully expecting to Get a really good increase this week after the statement cut on sunday but got denied on both "Too many recent inquires" which is kinda true i like to keep applying for cards 1 year out of Ch.7 Im trying to find better cards besides the comenity crap I want to get rid of.  Anyway my Util has been at or under 30% the entire year. Cap 1 gets special treatment and always gets a larger then min payment and when i recieved my tax refund last week I paid them both off.  I was hoping to Get a CLI and combine them.  

Now where my actual question comes in sorry for the rant should I wait to try again for another increase, if so how long if anyone has had this same reason for getting turned down how long did it take to get the increase or should I take the bullet combine now and wait another 6 months for a increase?

Thanks.!!!!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap 1 Advice. wait for CLI or combine?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hopefully someone can give me some sort of idea on what I should do here. So I have 2 Cap 1 Quicksilver's both opened 02/2016.  One was a Platnium turned Quicksilver the other is just a Quicksilver.  Both started at 300 went to 800 after 3rd statement cut then Steps kicked in 08/2016 and now the lines are 1300 each.  I was fully expecting to Get a really good increase this week after the statement cut on sunday but got denied on both "Too many recent inquires" which is kinda true i like to keep applying for cards 1 year out of Ch.7 Im trying to find better cards besides the comenity crap I want to get rid of.  Anyway my Util has been at or under 30% the entire year. Cap 1 gets special treatment and always gets a larger then min payment and when i recieved my tax refund last week I paid them both off.  I was hoping to Get a CLI and combine them.  

Now where my actual question comes in sorry for the rant should I wait to try again for another increase, if so how long if anyone has had this same reason for getting turned down how long did it take to get the increase or should I take the bullet combine now and wait another 6 months for a increase?

Thanks.!!!!

If INQs are an issue, you could attempt to combine the accounts, but that still is not a guarantee that Cap 1 will approve it.  It sounds as if your apply for additional credit is affecting your ability for your accounts to grow. Comenity bank has been very good to me; I have two accounts with them with limits above $20k.  While I would prefer for those limits to be attached to bank cards, I'm not going to complain at this point with the purchase power available to me.  If you choose to combine the cards and are approved, the yes it would be 6 months before they would consider an increase.   Maybe Cap 1 is suggesting to you to garden for a little bit and let your accounts age and the INQs to fall off. 

Also, the ideal UTI is one card under 10% and the other cards reporting a zero balance.    You're doing good for 1 year out of Ch. 7.  Rome was not built in a day; neither is the ideal credit profile.  I have a CO that I would like gone cause the 90 day lates are killing me, but I'm gardening until its gone because I've accepted that nothing will improve me score until it is gone.

Good luck whatever you decide and keep us posted.  Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 9
Kevin86475391
Frequent Contributor

I agree. I'd slow down and garden for awhile, at least 6-12 months, before applying for anything else.That said, do you want two Quicksilver cards? If you do for some reason then of course consider keeping both, but personally I'd want to combine/close one regardless.

Message 3 of 9
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

I know it's exciting to get that APPROVED message but, you're shooting yourself in the foot by filling out the forms.  

STOP applying for 1 year and let things mature some.  I wouldn't bug Cap1 too much since you're just a year out of BK at this point.

If you don't want to carry the baggage on your Comenity cards then go ahead and dump them. If you need more breathing room then combine the Cap1 cards to get your limit up to something you can use w/o being penalized for using it in points.

If you have to use your tax refund to pay them off then chances are you don't need to CLI at this point until you figure out how to budget your funds better.  Just spend some time to figure things out a bit more than worrying about accumulating more cards and higher limits. Don't dig yourself into a hole again like the one from before the BK.  

I know you don't want to hear it but, it's time to grow up financially!  This is your 2nd chance and if you screw it up you're going to be dealing with it for the next 10+ years or more if you end up filing for BK again in 7 years.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Excellent advice has been given already. I agree- slow down!

You have to wait 3 months from a denial before you can get another CLI with Cap1. I would go ahead and combine the 2 now, garden for 6 months and you should get a nice CLI then.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Patience is a virtue my friend. I recently combined my capital one quick silver one to my platinum as I grew tired of the "membership fee" nonsense.

CapitalOne is one of few companies willing to work with consumers fresh out of BK so take your time and gain a little more traction with them with good usage and paying history before making decisions for limit increases and combining accounts. 

As many vets on the forums would suggest, add them to your calendar and keep track of your progress. Best of luck to you Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 9
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

I've never heard having to wait 3 months after a Cap1 CLI denial, only 6 months after a successful CLI.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies tried the combo got denied, only thing i can think is i have a negative balance -5 bucks on both cards because they adjusted some interest i'll wait until cards zero out and try again.  

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree also,  with you being newly out of BK and Capital One being a BK friendly card I wouldn't push my luck. In my experience, they don't give limit increases as freely and as often as some of the others out there so even more of a reason to wait around. I would probably garden for at least another year and try again or branch out to a different card, the older your BK the better. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.