Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap 1 CLI Before Credit Steps

tag
creditreformer
Frequent Contributor

Cap 1 CLI Before Credit Steps

I know Cap 1's gotten mixed reviews here, so I thought I'd share my experience.  I have a cap 1 rewards cc w/a whopping 300 CL opened in 4/08.  I tried a CLI @ activation and got a polite but firm 'no.'  I got the credit steps letter saying I'd get a 200 auto CLI AFTER my 3rd statement cuts.  I'd read about people 'doubling up' on CLI by calling Cap 1 before or just after their 3rd statement cuts, but I figured I'd push my luck.  My 2nd statement just cut 2 wks ago and I've been running 2-3x my CLI through Cap 1 each mo. trying to show them some loving.

Today's call (backdoor # ending in 9939) took just a few minutes.  I started off w/'love you guys- want to use you more, but can't b/c of the low cl.'  Rep started off w/'cap 1 loves you, it's a rewards card, blah blah.'  I thought 'oh great, I'm going to get the we're so fab, we love your $, but no CLI for you' rejection.  Then she said 'let me refresh your acct.'  She asked how much I thought I needed, so I shot for the moon and said 'oh, 1k or so' LOL  which is true b/c I travel A LOT and these 3 digit CLs aren't useful to me.  I thought she'd LOL @ my chutzpah for asking for 1K total CLi, but she didn't and said she could give me 300 CLI today and will send me a form to ask for more b/c I said I travel a lot and I really need a bigger CLI.  She said that form will NOT be a hard pull and that cap 1 ONLY does a hard pull when you apply.

So yay, my 300 cap 1 is now a 600 CL.  I wonder if I'll still get the 200 'credit step' after my 3rd statement hits.  I was going to ask but didn't want to jinx it, so I'm hoping it will 'double up' and I'll be up to 800 next mo.  Not bad, esp. as I burned cap 1 2x when younger and dumber.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap 1 CLI Before Credit Steps

they will bump u up to 1100 most likely at 4th statement..
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

They denied me on Monday for CLI.  I had just paid my second statement.  I am going to try to use it more and call again after 3rd statement cuts so I can get an increase before credit steps.
Message 3 of 8
unknown_entity
Established Contributor

creditreformer wrote:
I know Cap 1's gotten mixed reviews here, so I thought I'd share my experience.  I have a cap 1 rewards cc w/a whopping 300 CL opened in 4/08.  I tried a CLI @ activation and got a polite but firm 'no.'  I got the credit steps letter saying I'd get a 200 auto CLI AFTER my 3rd statement cuts.  I'd read about people 'doubling up' on CLI by calling Cap 1 before or just after their 3rd statement cuts, but I figured I'd push my luck.  My 2nd statement just cut 2 wks ago and I've been running 2-3x my CLI through Cap 1 each mo. trying to show them some loving.

Today's call (backdoor # ending in 9939) took just a few minutes.  I started off w/'love you guys- want to use you more, but can't b/c of the low cl.'  Rep started off w/'cap 1 loves you, it's a rewards card, blah blah.'  I thought 'oh great, I'm going to get the we're so fab, we love your $, but no CLI for you' rejection.  Then she said 'let me refresh your acct.'  She asked how much I thought I needed, so I shot for the moon and said 'oh, 1k or so' LOL  which is true b/c I travel A LOT and these 3 digit CLs aren't useful to me.  I thought she'd LOL @ my chutzpah for asking for 1K total CLi, but she didn't and said she could give me 300 CLI today and will send me a form to ask for more b/c I said I travel a lot and I really need a bigger CLI.  She said that form will NOT be a hard pull and that cap 1 ONLY does a hard pull when you apply.

So yay, my 300 cap 1 is now a 600 CL.  I wonder if I'll still get the 200 'credit step' after my 3rd statement hits.  I was going to ask but didn't want to jinx it, so I'm hoping it will 'double up' and I'll be up to 800 next mo.  Not bad, esp. as I burned cap 1 2x when younger and dumber.

You will get $500 when your credit steps auto CLI kicks in.  Bringing your total CL to $1100
07/26/2007 TU-688
EQ-656
EX-649
Message 4 of 8
creditreformer
Frequent Contributor

are you sure credit steps will be 500?  the mail from cap 1 had said 200 CLI when i first got my cc.  would be nice if it's 500...that would be my 1st 4 digit CL Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 8
msheresy
Regular Contributor

They are correct! I went from 300 to 600 (backdoor) to 1100 (credit steps) W00T!!!!
Message 6 of 8
creditreformer
Frequent Contributor

yippee...funny (or just sad) how i can't get ANY CLI from orchard whom i've had for 18 mos. w/perfect history yet cap 1, bam.  if it hits 1100, that will be my FIRST 4 digit CL...a long way from 'in the credit dumper' where i used to be.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same thing happened to me, went from 300 to 600 to 1100 with credit steps... Good Stuff... Now to get rid of the $39 AF.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.