Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap. 1 Cash Rewards opinions?

tag
Coldness
Contributor

Cap. 1 Cash Rewards opinions?

I've heard nothing but horror stories about Capitol One. 

But, alas, I'm in the market for a new MC or Visa. I'd prefer a lender that isn't shaky about giving high limits. Right now my "go to" cards are Zync and Discover More. My only Visa is a local credit union one with crap rewards but 8% APR. My highest limits are my store cards that barely see any use, and I'd like to fix that. 

So far from what I can find the Capitol One Cash card is supposedly the best "simple" cash back card for Visa/MC with average-ish credit (~720ish as of January, and nothing's changed since then except lower util, never had any lates or anything in my life, etc). 

Who has this card, and what do you think of it? How does its CL compare to other cards you have, and does Capitol One grant CLI's very easily? What about the APR? If Capitol One is just crap all around, what other alternatives should I look at? Citi's sent me a few pre-approvals in the mail, but I don't know much about their rewards system. 

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Cap. 1 Cash Rewards opinions?

Stay far away from Cap1 if your not able to qualify for prime cards with them. Lack of CLI's is a biggie on their average cards.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 18
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@Coldness wrote:

But, alas, I'm in the market for a new MC or Visa. I'd prefer a lender that isn't shaky about giving high limits. Right now my "go to" cards are Zync and Discover More. My only Visa is a local credit union one with crap rewards but 8% APR. My highest limits are my store cards that barely see any use, and I'd like to fix that. 

So far from what I can find the Capitol One Cash card is supposedly the best "simple" cash back card for Visa/MC with average-ish credit (~720ish as of January, and nothing's changed since then except lower util, never had any lates or anything in my life, etc). 

Who has this card, and what do you think of it? How does its CL compare to other cards you have, and does Capitol One grant CLI's very easily? What about the APR? If Capitol One is just crap all around, what other alternatives should I look at? Citi's sent me a few pre-approvals in the mail, but I don't know much about their rewards system. 

capone rewards aren't the greatest but they are decent if you can't get prime rewards card, I hate that I can't get CLI's from them, but there rewards are quick to accumulate and can be credited to your accounts as credits rather quickly, gas stations and some stores are 2% but nothing worse than 1%. AMEX MRE's gives good reward points but take a while to get credited to your account and to are painful exchange rate for cash or statement credits, there cash rewards cards are harder to get. Some prime and CU cards have rewards that are less than 1% 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 3 of 18
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Coldness wrote:

I have the one for average credit, and I like it very well  $3000CL to start, +$500 at six months.  Started out with their secured card. 

I assume you would qualify for the excellent credit one.  I would consider it one of their prime cards.  I still haven't figured out why people don't like Capital One.

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think Capitol One is that bad.  Sure, their customer service could be improved and they could be more flexible by allowing customer initiated credit limit increases or product changes, but they do have good rewards programs in their prime cards.  Their builder cards aren't bad either, as long as you realize that it likely won't be able to transform into a prime card as your scores improve.

The customer service and the triple pull are the only things that have dissuaded me from the green cash card.

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why not a citi card? The dividend offers 1% on all purchases. And has a 5 % categories. Also after 6 months you can request a CLI and it'll be a soft pull.
Message 6 of 18
clocktick
Valued Contributor

Cap One isn't all about horror stories.  They don't tend to give out great CLs but they have 0% forex fees and sometimes good deals on things like Subway, etc.  Their customer service isn't the best but I rarely call them (or any other card's cust. serv.) anyway.  Oh, and they pull all 3 CBs = HPs.

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 18
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@clocktick wrote:

Cap One isn't all about horror stories.  They don't tend to give out great CLs but they have 0% forex fees and sometimes good deals on things like Subway, etc.  Their customer service isn't the best but I rarely call them (or any other card's cust. serv.) anyway.  Oh, and they pull all 3 CBs = HPs.

When Cap One rolls out EMV, then it will be 100% perfect for those who travel.

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap One is a strange company. On one hand they have less than stellar customer service, inflexible products, and low CLs. But they also absorb the foreign fees on all their cards (even the ones with no AF) and their prime cards have some great rewards (Venture, Green Cash 1.5%). Usually a company focuses on one segment of the market, prime or subprime. Cap One seems to have no clear identity in this sense.

Message 9 of 18
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@Coldness wrote:

I have several rewards cards from Capital One and others. I'd actually rather have an 8% APR Visa over any of the rewards cards and I usually PIF every month. Note that most "rewards" cards are higher APR which pay for those rewards, but then again  I like things simple. I do tend to take advantage of 00% promotions for major purchases.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.