Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap 1 Discover (Direct Rewards) -CLI Denied

tag
Cirnite
Established Member

Cap 1 Discover (Direct Rewards) -CLI Denied

I've had the HSBC Discover since June 2006 as a rebuilder ($300 CL).  Seven years later, I still sit at $300, in spite of my credit score improving nearly 150-175 pts and all baddies but a 4 year old tax lien paid and removed.  I requested an increase in May and was denied because I had a collection appearing.  The collection has since been paid and removed. I waited for the Cap 1 merger to be finalized (I also have an Orchard Bank Gold Card) then contacted the HSBC EO on 7/25 to request  my AF be waived and a $2500 CLI to match my average CL with my other CC.  Well today I was notified that the AF would be waived but no CLI.  This makes no sense.  My DTI and utilization for all cards is < 5%.  My credit, income and tenure on my job justifies way more than my current limits.   If they had even given me paltry annual increases of $300/yr, it would be in the approximate range of my request. Has anyone else received a recent CLI from them?  Should I cancel this card now that I have outgrown it, or maintain it for AAOA?

Starting Score: 536 CK (07/11); 610 EQ Fico (08/12)
Current Score: 714 EQ FICO; 700 TU FICO; 727 Walmart TU; 716 EX FICO (07/11/13)
Goal Score: 720 FICO across the board

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Re: Cap 1 Discover (Direct Rewards) -CLI Denied

Eh.  If you got the annual fee waived, you may was well just leave it in a sock drawer for 11 more months...it won't hurt you any.

I've had this card since 2009 and haven't received a CLI either...I think this one simply doesn't grow...

02/01/24 Fico 8: EX 757, EQ 803, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 760 12/16/23, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 2 of 9
missjae
Established Contributor

They can't seem to do too much with my former Orchard card, but worked wonders on my "regular" Capital Once accounts.  With no annual fee, I'd keep it.

Message 3 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

My DH has had his OB since 3/2008 CL $300. He contacted the EO a few months ago and was able to get the fee waived and APR reduced 14.99. No CLI. Last week after the merger he tried again. Got the 'we aren't doing CLI's on OB' speech but he did get a PC to a rewards cc.

Needless to say, the card sits in the SD.
Message 4 of 9
seat3a
Contributor

I contacted Cap 1 also regarding my Orchard Bank Gold card. I explained that I had CC's with MUCH higher limits, (e.g.., 11K Citi), I have no baddies, FICO around 760, have 3 of their cards (2 Direct Rewards, 1 Orchard) and I got absolutely no where. No CLI's. The CSR suggested I apply for a new Cap 1 card but I told him I would not take a HP and that was the end of it. I also "suggested" maybe Cap 1 should change their policy with people like me as a lot of their customers will be canceling their accounts. He said he would pass on the info...LOL.

Barclay Arrival World MC 10K, Citi AAdvantage 16K, Chase Sapphire Preferred 15K, AMEX Gold Delta Skymiles 16K, Venture One 5K, Discover Direct Rewards (Cap 1) $300, Discover Direct Rewards (Cap 1) $500

Scores: EX 764 EQ 750 TU 809 MyFico 739 Last App 11/13
Message 5 of 9
lajntx
Frequent Contributor

@seat3a wrote:

I also "suggested" maybe Cap 1 should change their policy with people like me as a lot of their customers will be canceling their accounts. He said he would pass on the info...LOL.

Now, Now, you better start watching your p`s & q`s when you start dissing Capital One like that on here. The Capital One defenders will start defending those practices as being "good for business".  Afterall, Churn doesnt matter since it is cheaper to replace old customers with new ones that are signing up for the cards anyways isnt it? Smiley LOL

EQ- 647, EX- 641, TU- 644
Sept `13 - ZERO Debt, 100% Liquid, AND a climbing credit score. Eat your heart out Dave Ramsey!
Message 6 of 9
shols44
Frequent Contributor

@Cirnite wrote:

I've had the HSBC Discover since June 2006 as a rebuilder ($300 CL).  Seven years later, I still sit at $300, in spite of my credit score improving nearly 150-175 pts and all baddies but a 4 year old tax lien paid and removed.  I requested an increase in May and was denied because I had a collection appearing.  The collection has since been paid and removed. I waited for the Cap 1 merger to be finalized (I also have an Orchard Bank Gold Card) then contacted the HSBC EO on 7/25 to request  my AF be waived and a $2500 CLI to match my average CL with my other CC.  Well today I was notified that the AF would be waived but no CLI.  This makes no sense.  My DTI and utilization for all cards is < 5%.  My credit, income and tenure on my job justifies way more than my current limits.   If they had even given me paltry annual increases of $300/yr, it would be in the approximate range of my request. Has anyone else received a recent CLI from them?  Should I cancel this card now that I have outgrown it, or maintain it for AAOA?

If you close, it won't affect your AAoA for ten years. The account will continue to report for 10 years and drop off. As to wether you keep or close, see if EO will be be willing to PC the card for you to venture or quicksilver along with a CLI. If all else fails, you have certainly improved enough to land something good. 

Starting Score: 501
Current Score: 754 EQ,TU 745,EX 750
Goal Score: 800

Message 7 of 9
jeffery581
Established Contributor

What do you think will happen to this card? Will they convert them to regular capital one card, or just close them? I just didn't think Capital One did anything discover.

Thanks!

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 8 of 9
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

It's not hopeless. My OB card was stuck at $300 for over a year, after the switch to cap1 I asked for a CLI and was given 1k, they added rewards and waived the AF. Now I have a "fake" venture card with 2 miles / $1 spent.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.