cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap 1 - How Long to Get Better Card Offers?

tag
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

Cap 1 - How Long to Get Better Card Offers?

Hello,

I have had a Visa ($1800) and MC ($3350) with Cap 1 for three years.  It has been nearly 3 years since I got a CLI on the Visa, but I got a total of $2350 CLI on the Visa over the past two months.  I submitted a pre-approval app. and was approved for an Average Credit card, but they both look like they will be the type of Credit Steps cards that I started out with three years ago.  There is no need for me to start over when I can just continue a good history with the ones that I have and wait for the time when I qualify for better cards.  I have an 8 yr old bankruptcy and other baddies that will fall off within the next two years.  By then, i woudl have also paid off my car loan.  I am wondering if anyone went from getting preapproved for Average Credit cards to Excellent Credit (or just better cards with better limits) and how long did it take for you to progress. 

Thanks

*Note to self* Remember why and for how long you had to rebuild in the first place! One Day at a Time, One Day at a Time!
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
vish1
Valued Contributor

Re: Cap 1 - How Long to Get Better Card Offers?

Cap 1 wont be the card I will look at. I will look at prime vendors and try discover/amex pre approvals.

If they don't show approvals, I will sit back for some more time.

Are you getting pre approved offers from sub prime lenders like FP, orchard, credit one etc in ur mail?

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your signature line is a bit confusing.  What are your current scores?

Message 3 of 5
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

@vish1 wrote:

Cap 1 wont be the card I will look at. I will look at prime vendors and try discover/amex pre approvals.

Are you getting pre approved offers from sub prime lenders like FP, orchard, credit one etc in ur mail?

It was just a test to see if I would be pre-approved.  No, I am not getting any offeres from those other cards. I would never go back to those!  I am trying to get from under HSBC - Bottom-Feeder (formally Direct Merchants) cards.  I have a M/C and Discover.  I am paying off the M/C and sock drawering it until they decide to close it.   I do not qualify for the other prime companies you mentioned.  I did amex pre-approval tonight and no go.  Applied for Discover last month - got another HSBC Discover card that I am not going to activate.  They did already report it on my CR even though I did not activate it.  So, I have to battle with them tomorrow.  I cannot stand them!    I just thoguht I would try Cap1 to see what they would offer based on my record with them.

I have had great experiences with Cap 1, so I do not mind staying and progressing with them, so long as progressing to a better card is actually an option.

*Note to self* Remember why and for how long you had to rebuild in the first place! One Day at a Time, One Day at a Time!
Message 4 of 5
vish1
Valued Contributor

@Changingmantra wrote:

@vish1 wrote:

It was just a test to see if I would be pre-approved.  No, I am not getting any offeres from those other cards. I would never go back to those!  I am trying to get from under HSBC - Bottom-Feeder (formally Direct Merchants) cards.  I have a M/C and Discover.  I am paying off the M/C and sock drawering it until they decide to close it.   I do not qualify for the other prime companies you mentioned.  I did amex pre-approval tonight and no go.  Applied for Discover last month - got another HSBC Discover card that I am not going to activate.  They did already report it on my CR even though I did not activate it.  So, I have to battle with them tomorrow.  I cannot stand them!    I just thoguht I would try Cap1 to see what they would offer based on my record with them.

I have had great experiences with Cap 1, so I do not mind staying and progressing with them, so long as progressing to a better card is actually an option.

I will continue with Cap 1 for now and wait for the scores to get into about 660+ I will also ensure that I have atleast 1+ year of nice clean history before I apply anything. When I asked about sub prime offers, I dint intend to ask you to apply for them. I use them as a indicator, when you get a lot of them, your credit is improving and you will get them for 3-4 months. Next stage will be when you will stop getting any of those offers from prime lenders. This is the point when you are in no mans land and need to stay patient and another 3-4 months later you should see prime lenders running behind you for your business.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.