cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap 1, Is there a way to upgrade to a better card with them?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap 1, Is there a way to upgrade to a better card with them?

I've had a platinum (39 AF, 750 CL) card for about 8 months now. I've had 2 CLI's, not by my request, and with the AMEX Blue I will have going this week, I was considering calling and asking for a significant CLI and If not threaten to close, is this tactic worthwhile??
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap 1, Is there a way to upgrade to a better card with them?

Not likely..YMMV...I succeeded in getting the annual fees cancelled..then got an increase on one card. Then cancelled..they will not allow you to upgrade without applying for a different card...Good luck!!!
Message 2 of 11
ksiss
Valued Member

Yeah, I'd like to know the same thing.  My oldest CC is a sub-prime credit card from Cap1 with 20.55% APR and a CL of $1500.  I have since obtained a USAA CC with a $9000 CL and  a 12.15% APR.

With all my FICO scores in the 700's, I don't see how Capital One could have a leg to stand on, keeping me at subprime rates and low CL's.  Needless to say, I haven't touched thier card since getting my USAA.

I've also noticed that everyone else that has the Cap1 "Platinum" like I do, have an AF attached to thiers.  I'm beginning to wonder how the hell I lucked out and got one with no AF's when I had NO credit history or experience when I applied for it.  Kind of odd to me......but I'm not complaining. Smiley Wink

Message Edited by ksiss on 09-23-2007 02:03 PM

Message Edited by ksiss on 09-23-2007 02:04 PM
TU: 783 EQ: 793 EX: 773
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good luck to you!! I tried and tried and tried since they are my oldest cards. My scores are  one in the low 700's  and the other two mid 700's and they would not budge....Sooooooo....I told them to close them...

Message Edited by ObsessedwithmyFico on 09-23-2007 02:11 PM
Message 4 of 11
ksiss
Valued Member

When you closed the card, did it negatively impact your credit score since it's your oldest card? 
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

They are not showing closed yet..But I don't expect any decline in score as I won't lose the age of the cards. They are all at $0 balance. And open or closed positive accounts count toward your age for ten years..My utilization will not be affected as the limits were so small...teeny-weeny...
Message 6 of 11
ksiss
Valued Member

I see.  Well, I'll see if I can butter them up enough to lower the APR and bump up my CL substantially Smiley Tongue .  If they don't budge then I'm debating on whether I should close the account or not.  I have no AF to worry about each year so the only good thing about closing my account is that they'll lose a "customer".  Otherwise I could just leave the **bleep** thing open and use it every 6 months on a candy bar. Smiley Very Happy

They haven't recieved a cent from me anyway since I PIF since I've had the card.
Message 7 of 11
jsmith12345
Regular Contributor

I closed all my CapOne credit card accounts some time ago.  It was before I was monitoring my score closely though so I'm not sure of the net result.  They are terrible.  I had 2 cards through them with low CL's and high APR's.  I am happy with their auto financing though, simple, efficient and a good rate...
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital one has two classes of cards, one is sub sub prime and the other is semi-prime or prime if you will. They do not upgrade from one to the other as far as I know. You have to close out the one and apply for the other. And you can have a sub prime card with them with or without an AF. That is not an indicator if the card is sub prime or not. Usually it is the CL and APR that will tell you, along with the level of customer service you get!
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called Cap1 last week with the very same question, requesting a cl increase. they told me sorry, but they dont take requests for cl increases, as they review each acct. and grant cl increases, periodically. wont do any good, methinks.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.