Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap 1 Limit question

tag
GPMDRL
New Contributor

Cap 1 Limit question

Question for the board. I have a cap 1 card as my oldest card, started with a $500 limit maybe 6 years ago when my credit was crap. 2 years ago after recovery I got my limit up to $3000 from EO call. I have since gotten up to $4k via luv button. He's my issue, my credit score is now in mid to upper 700s. Have a 1.5 year old mortgage, no negatives and 5% utilization on cards. Have a discover with $14k limit, a 2 year old AMEX with $34k limit and a new Barclays with a $20k limit.

3 weeks ago I got a cap 1 sparks biz card and they have me a $30k limit. Figured I'd hit luv button for my cap 1 personal card and got a measly $150 increase to $4150. I know they pulled personal credit for biz card so how come I can't get limit up on personal? I emailed them via website on if they could use my hard pull from biz app for a CLI on personal and got a generic reply message that didn't come close to helping. The only reason I keep the card open is it's my oldest and no annual fee.
Will they consider using the HP on biz card for upping my limit on personal of I call? Not a huge deal for me but a tad irritating Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
GPMDRL
New Contributor

Re: Cap 1 Limit question

Oh, and before I got my Barclays reward, I asked cap 1 if I can pc my quicksilver to venture and was told that offer wasn't available to me. Ugh
Message 2 of 8
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

The most common answer you will get from cap1 is NO, I closed one of my cap1 cards already and 2 more are on the chopping block.

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 3 of 8
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

If it has an AF close it and rid yourself of a SUB-PRIME card..  You can then re-apply for another Cap1 if you really want to torture yourself and most likely you will get alot better limit 10-20k on the Venture or Venture One or even QS.  That card you have is marked as Sub-Prime it won't go anywhere imo..  Otherwise you seem to have plenty of credit alreayd and why would you want to deal with Cap1?  So I have no love for them even though I have a few of there cards a necessary evil while i continue to rebuild.

Message 4 of 8
abbafan
Regular Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

If it has an AF close it and rid yourself of a SUB-PRIME card..  You can then re-apply for another Cap1 if you really want to torture yourself and most likely you will get alot better limit 10-20k on the Venture or Venture One or even QS.  That card you have is marked as Sub-Prime it won't go anywhere imo..  Otherwise you seem to have plenty of credit alreayd and why would you want to deal with Cap1?  So I have no love for them even though I have a few of there cards a necessary evil while i continue to rebuild.

By how much subprime is worse than prime? I mean, as far as everyday spending goes QS isn't any worse than let's say Freedom or Double Cash. Also, it reports the same way as prime cards that I've listed above and has the same effect on the score as well. Maybe during manual reviews future lenders care about that but even then why would they? I currently have 2 QS and 1 Barclay Rewards and I use all 3 of them exntesively. I guess none of them are considered prime (including Barclay MC) but I also don't see myself applying for more credit cards in the future even when my charge-offs fall off and my scores skyrocket. I simply see no need for that. Maybe there are more perks to having prime cards that I'm not aware of? Smiley Happy

Discover IT $15500, Barclay Rewards $12380, Barclay Ring $13000, Cap1 Savor $7250, Chase Freedom Unlimited $9000, Best Buy Visa $12000 , Bethpage Low Rate MC - $9000, Bethpage LOC - $15000, CITI Double Cash - $21000
EQ 783
TU 798
EX 767
Message 5 of 8
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@abbafan wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

By how much subprime is worse than prime? I mean, as far as everyday spending goes QS isn't any worse than let's say Freedom or Double Cash. Also, it reports the same way as prime cards that I've listed above and has the same effect on the score as well. Maybe during manual reviews future lenders care about that but even then why would they? I currently have 2 QS and 1 Barclay Rewards and I use all 3 of them exntesively. I guess none of them are considered prime (including Barclay MC) but I also don't see myself applying for more credit cards in the future even when my charge-offs fall off and my scores skyrocket. I simply see no need for that. Maybe there are more perks to having prime cards that I'm not aware of? Smiley Happy

Nothing against Cap1 other then there lackluster CS...  I was just answering his quetion how to get a higher limit.. Gotta most likely close that rebuider card apply for a new Cap1 and he would get alot higher limit as most likely that card is marked as a "rebuilder" card when he/she was starting out.. So the easiest way would to be closer and re-open a new account if you wanted to remain at Cap1..   Honestly they have some of the most hassle free rewards out there with the QS card...  Or you could skip cap1 and just go for the big boys since he/she has good credit now as well...  You are correct, they all report the same and even on manual review I don't think any lender would give a flying you know what if a line said Cap1, credit is creditSmiley Happy...  

Message 6 of 8
taxi818
Super Contributor

Not. They will not mix the two. Of course. Business is reported on personal you are the pg. personal guarantor. If no AF. That's about as high as their regular cards go. What you can do. First. Asked to be upgraded to a venture card. After then you can get the high limits you seek. I'm just guessing it's a regular platinum you have.  Or try the platinum prestige from cap one. Ask yo be upgraded. And they will give you the high limits. 

Message 7 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

A Cap-1 rebuilder card will never perform the same as opening a new account with excellent credit, I have a rebuilder from 2010 with a limit of 1400 I just got a Sony Siggy Visa with a limit of 5K, the only reason I dont kill that rebuilder is its my oldest bankcard and the int rate is 9.9%... Get a new personal card is what I recommend. Happy Holidays Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.