Cap 1 card combining any experts

tag
kugel
Valued Contributor

Cap 1 card combining any experts

I was planing to combine my cap 1 cards
According to the terms of doing it I am all good ,

Today and wen i clicked it gives me the message I am not eligible now ,
and last week I checked it it opened up wen I clicked the option to do the combinations I just wanted to wait to do it later
What heppend it's not leting me now ?
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Cap 1 card combining any experts

How many cards do you have, and which ones? Are all the cards at least 6 months old? the cards you want to close and move the CL need to be at a $0 ball. are they??
Message 2 of 12
kugel
Valued Contributor

Venture 9 months and quick silver 13 months both zero balance the quicksilver is $6500 since I got a refund 2 weeks ago from a store it's not $6549 credit can this be the reason ?
It's annoying that suddenly it doesn't let me do it
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

It says how the one card needs to be zero, but I followed their directions exactly and I could not combine. So, I paid the other card, so that both cards were art zero, and it worked perfectly. This was my experience with it. Prior to paying them both to zero, I called customer service and they said everything looked good but they could not combine them either, and had no answer as to why not. 

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kugel wrote:
I was planing to combine my cap 1 cards
According to the terms of doing it I am all good ,

Today and wen i clicked it gives me the message I am not eligible now ,
and last week I checked it it opened up wen I clicked the option to do the combinations I just wanted to wait to do it later
What heppend it's not leting me now ?

Zipperhead just crushed the answer I was about to give: Even though I dont like having to call customer service when I dont have to, this would be a case where I would.  Heck, even after Zipperhead's post, I still think it is worth a go, especially since both your accounts are already paid off, so you wouldnt have any further action to do, like he did.

Unless...there is a chance that positive balance is messing things up in the computer's eyes.  Getting rid of that may take some time, and I realize that isnt somethng a person wants to do when theyre ready to make a move.  If it were me(tm), I'd call a CSR.  If they were unable to help, I would escalate the call.  If I truly believed it were the positive balance and/or wanted to eliminate the possibility, I'd try to eliminate it asap.  That sounds like it might take more time than you'd want as it would require 2 actions, unless you spent the EXACT same amount, correct?  If correct, you may wish to spend the exact same amount.

It's kind of funny, how in the credit world having a positive balance can be a bad thing, as I also noticed it listed as such in a thread about some rewards card that recently is no longer offered.

I wish you the best of luck, and please do us a favor and let us know how this turns out.  Thanks!  (Ive combined 2 cards with them, but am far from an expert.  However I do like to do what I can to encourage folks, as I want to see you succeed!)

Message 5 of 12
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@kugel wrote:
Venture 9 months and quick silver 13 months both zero balance the quicksilver is $6500 since I got a refund 2 weeks ago from a store it's not $6549 credit can this be the reason ?
It's annoying that suddenly it doesn't let me do it

Others have previously reported having the same issue... the balance has to be exactly zero on the card you want to close, with no pending transactions.

Message 6 of 12
kugel
Valued Contributor

Just to make it clear the balance is zero on the card I wanna close
And the one i leave open is zero balance with $49 credit
Message 7 of 12
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@kugel wrote:
Just to make it clear the balance is zero on the card I wanna close
And the one i leave open is zero balance with $49 credit

In that case it's not clear what the problem is; perhaps the credit balance is causing the issue, but there's no way to know until it's gone (either let them send you a check, or simply charge against it).

Having a balance on the card you want to keep shouldn't be a problem in any case... I tried it just now with my own cards, and it will let me combine my Venture WEMC ($0 balance) into either of my Quicksilvers, both of which currently have a balance.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've combined twice. Card I closed had 0 and the one being donated to had small balance both times. Looks like credit balance is making it glitchy to me
Message 9 of 12
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Unless they changed the guidelines, which is always a possibility, the card that us staying open can gave a balance. I've done several combinations.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.