Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap 1 caught fraud fast!

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Cap 1 caught fraud fast!

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm glad they caught it, but Cap One's fraud department is making me crazy. I've never had a single fraud alert on my QS1, but I get them with each and every single charge on my QS. One of them was myFICO!

It has got to the point that I can only make one charge on that card per day if I'm out and about.

Right, the downside of sensitive fraud detection is too many false positives.  Cap One has denied some of my charges and it's a pain to call in and get them OKd (and then having to repeat the transaction)

Message 21 of 27
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@NichelleN wrote:

I agree with turning on the purchase alert feature. I have it turned on for any card that has the feature, including capital one.

Actually, it's how I realized that I'd accidentally dropped/lost a card. A few minutes later it was being used at a gas station. Within a few seconds of the alert, I was on the phone with Capital One and the card was cancelled. When they tried to use it a few minutes later it had been flagged.

That's one approach, but I don't want to get so many alerts.   I just check the online account once a week or so, and if there is fraud, not my problem!

Message 22 of 27
negg
Frequent Contributor

I just used mine to make a purchase on eBay for $100. The seller was located in Serbia. The payment was processed by PayPal. But I got an email, a text and a phone call all within 2 mins of me hitting the finish button.  Crazy good service. 

CSR.........11,900.......Delta Amex $11,200.........Marriott Rewards Premier $8000.......Discover IT $9700......Citi Preferred $8600.......Chase Freedom $10,800.....Barclay(apple) $11,600......BofA $1500.......Capital One $7400......FNO $9800......Barclay(Hawaiian airlines)$11,000......Citi Costco $15,000. June 1st 2013 0 credit cards and 575 fico. Today 117K in credit and 812 fico and ZERO INQUIRIES......ZERO. 2018 goal. 825 fico.
Message 23 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also enjoy capital ones fraud alert system. They caught a $1 charge that I did not make a few months ago; I called in and told the customer service rep I had not clue what the buisness was; then he informed me it was some food place, I tried arguing with him that it was 2am and I did not order the food; but he was like its a delivery place( I didnt care if it was a horse shack I did not make the purchase) The place was not even anywhere near me; I still have no clue how they got my information........ Finally he agreed it was fraud and sent me a new card; It is awesome you are getting your card fedexd it took mine 10 days to get here..... This is why I only carry my credit cards and leave my debits at home in RFID protectors.

Message 24 of 27
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This is why I only carry my credit cards and leave my debits at home in RFID protectors.

Your debit cards are contactless?

Message 25 of 27
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

You were fortunate. I'm glad the matter was resolved promptly. I've never experienced this and I hope never to. People are such creeps. We need stiffer penalties for these types of crimes.
Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 26 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This is why I only carry my credit cards and leave my debits at home in RFID protectors.

Your debit cards are contactless?

I honestly do not know and do not want to take the chance; I think my capital one debit is, I am not totaly sure

Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.