Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap 1 caught fraud fast!

tag
core
Valued Contributor

Re: Cap 1 caught fraud fast!

"Bank saved their own rear end; consumers cheer.  Film at 11."  If you miss tonight's episode you can catch one tomorrow, or the day after that, or the day after that.  Customers never get tired of hearing about banks looking out for #1, it seems.

Message 11 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm glad they caught it, but Cap One's fraud department is making me crazy. I've never had a single fraud alert on my QS1, but I get them with each and every single charge on my QS. One of them was myFICO!

It has got to the point that I can only make one charge on that card per day if I'm out and about.

Message 12 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Frizclotz, not sure I understand. What do you mean more to fear than that? Must have missed that Cap1 has that feature. I do have that option turned on with my Amex cards and you're right, very helpful.

Core, I guess that's one way to look at it. Hadn't thought of it in that way.
Message 13 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Frizclotz, not sure I understand. What do you mean more to fear than that? 

They must have duplicated your credit card. Where did they acquire the information? How do you know that they've only acquired credit card information from your Capital One credit card and not any other accounts?

Message 14 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gotcha. I have no idea where they got the info from but the only thing I can do is keep a close eye on all my accounts. How do people go about cloning cards? Hacking websites? Now you have me freaked out that my identity has been stolen or something.
Message 15 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know the details, but it's just good to be on full alert.

Message 16 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

They are very quick. I made two charges at a restaurant, both for the same amount, and they e-mailed me asking if it was a duplicate charge. Nope, both made by me! But it was nice that they were on top of things.

Message 17 of 27
NichelleN
Established Contributor

I agree with turning on the purchase alert feature. I have it turned on for any card that has the feature, including capital one.

Actually, it's how I realized that I'd accidentally dropped/lost a card. A few minutes later it was being used at a gas station. Within a few seconds of the alert, I was on the phone with Capital One and the card was cancelled. When they tried to use it a few minutes later it had been flagged.

More than enough credit.
Message 18 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, so I'm definitely turning on alerts for all my cards. One question...from the time someone sees my card and gets all the relevant info, how long does it take to clone? Couple of days, week? I think I have an idea of where this might have happened.
Message 19 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I bought a car and put 10k down payment on the cap one card and they initially declined it but instantly sent me a text asking if I was trying to use it. After confirming it I was able to do the charge just fine.

Capital one has been great at catching bogus charges also. Had someone try to use the number at Victoria secrets and cap one declined it and sent a text. After I replied that I wasn't shopping there they sent an email about a new card coming. Got the card fast in just two days.

Capital one has been great to deal with
Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.