cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap 1 error... and how to advise friends on credit...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap 1 error... and how to advise friends on credit...

Someone I work with has okay credit, even though he really does not use it.  He went to Express in the mall (think that was the name of the store) and got talked into applying for a store card to get a discount, was immediately approved for $2500 CL.  Well after talking to me and learning about the cards I have been getting recently he decided to apply for a Cap1 plat card and was approved for 3k at 19.9%, with no AF.  Pretty amazing for Cap1, but I shook my head and told him if Cap1 was willing to give him that, he could have done so much better.  He did not want to learn the graphic details of credit ins and outs, so I simply told him to apply for only one thing every 6 months and he would be fine.

I only hope that next time he talks to me before he goes after another card, he could have done much better.  4 years of ontime payments on a new truck, and 6 years of ontime payments on student loans, plus a few cards already in his wallet.  Funny thing he was happy with the 3k Cap1 gave him and the rate...

So do you think I gave him good advise since he does not want to learn about the graphic details on how credit works?  I think one app every six months (or year is better actually) is a good basic logic to expand and keep good credit.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Chris123nTx
Established Contributor

Re: Cap 1 error... and how to advise friends on credit...

As long as he keeps.his balances low then what you told him seems reasonable to me. Some folks just dont care to know, but being such a big part of a persons life, wether we like it to be or not, i dont understand how anyone would not want to know at least the basics of how credit really works. From loans to credit cards, cars, homes, renting, employment, insurance rates and on and on, it just affects us all even if we dont realize it.
Message 2 of 3
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Re: Cap 1 error... and how to advise friends on credit...

@Anonymous wrote:

Someone I work with has okay credit, even though he really does not use it.  He went to Express in the mall (think that was the name of the store) and got talked into applying for a store card to get a discount, was immediately approved for $2500 CL.  Well after talking to me and learning about the cards I have been getting recently he decided to apply for a Cap1 plat card and was approved for 3k at 19.9%, with no AF.  Pretty amazing for Cap1, but I shook my head and told him if Cap1 was willing to give him that, he could have done so much better.  He did not want to learn the graphic details of credit ins and outs, so I simply told him to apply for only one thing every 6 months and he would be fine.

I only hope that next time he talks to me before he goes after another card, he could have done much better.  4 years of ontime payments on a new truck, and 6 years of ontime payments on student loans, plus a few cards already in his wallet.  Funny thing he was happy with the 3k Cap1 gave him and the rate...

So do you think I gave him good advise since he does not want to learn about the graphic details on how credit works?  I think one app every six months (or year is better actually) is a good basic logic to expand and keep good credit.

I think he did just fine.    Most people don't need to know the credit in and outs.  

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.