Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap 1 hates me

tag
BoysMumx2
Frequent Contributor

Cap 1 hates me

So I've been checking the preapprovals link for them, thinking that I could get a different type of account with them now that my CR's look so much better than they did when I first got my soon-to-be closed card 4 years ago. Nothing. They never come up with any offers (this over 2 months of doing it every couple of days).

It got me to wondering if it really works, so I plugged in DH's name and address (and his credit is not good - about 90 pts lower than mine with dings). He came up with preapprovals!!

They hate me. Don't know why, but they do.

Just wanted to share yet another ridiculous Cap 1 story. Darn it.

Starting Score: EQ 622, TU 676, EX 643 (mtg lender pulls) 2/1/12
Current Score: EQ 743, TU 775 (6/18 MyFico), EX 722 (per CITI approval letter 6/29/12 pull)
Goal Score: New goal: 760+ on all 3

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
CreditDrama85
Established Contributor

Re: Cap 1 hates me

LOL, aww...
Message 2 of 15
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

Do you have any derogs on your Cap One?
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Call them and see if they will product change. Its worth a try. The system may be locking you out for some un-known reason.
Message 4 of 15
BoysMumx2
Frequent Contributor

@CreditDrama85 wrote:
LOL, aww...

Smiling here... yeah, at least I can grr AND laugh about it. Stupid preapproval thingy.

As for the history with them - no lates, BUT 2 years ago (I looked at my statements) I had an OL. In Feb they told me that my history with them was fantastic but I wasn't using the card enough. So I used it and stupid me, I thought I'd had the AF waived on it so end of March an AF shows up - hefty one of $59 - putting me over my limit. This after months of putting small charge on it now and again, then PIF.

So I called the backdoor number and said I just PIF the card so please waive AF or close. No waiving so it's being closed.

I know - stupid to go that high on the card, but with 500 CL, it didn't take much. What's really weird is they were reporting it inactive, even though I had been putting through small charges on it. That's why I decided to to use the heck out of it and see if they finally changed their tune. Nope. Instead, I got whacked with a $59 AF... I don't carry a balance, so I haven't been paying interest. Maybe they wanted to get something out of me...

Between no CLI's, the AF and the preapproval link not showing anything, I can't help but think they just don't like my money. tsk. Still, I was kind of hopeful that I'd find another (better) product with them and then be able to combine accounts. I really wanted to keep this account age, but move into something more in line with my current profile. NONE of my current cards have AF's, so honestly, I was blown away when this one happened... how quickly we forget, eh?

Current Score: EQ 743, TU 775 (6/18 MyFico), EX 722 (per CITI approval letter 6/29/12 pull)

Message 5 of 15
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

After seeing an offer in the preapproval page, I applied. Yipeeee! I got 3 hard pulls and a denial. This happened a while back and CapOne is a company that is off my list.
Message 6 of 15
BoysMumx2
Frequent Contributor

I want to boot them off my list, but for some reason I'm being really stubborn and pig-headed about them. I KNOW that I've got much better accounts now... I don't need an account with them, but it was my oldest one and it's irking me no end to see that age stop dead. Yeah, I get it for 10 more years, but it's not the same.

I need to find some Cap 1 mail and make a dart board out of it!

Message 7 of 15
CreditDrama85
Established Contributor

if it is your oldest TL, i suggest using the card once every 3 months for something small but not carrying a balance.

even if you dont get a mail offer, if your scores are above average --apply for a new card anyway and then combine (keeping the oldest TL)
Message 8 of 15
BoysMumx2
Frequent Contributor

@CreditDrama85 wrote:
if it is your oldest TL, i suggest using the card once every 3 months for something small but not carrying a balance.

even if you dont get a mail offer, if your scores are above average --apply for a new card anyway and then combine (keeping the oldest TL)

I'd keep it, but they'll charge me that AF and I simply can't do it. Paying $59 is insane when none of my other accounts have AFs. And I was using the card about once every two months for small charges only to have it show up as inactive on my reports.

I've been weighing the pro's (might get a new account, then can combine to keep account age) versus the con's (three hard inq's and possible denial) of applying for one of their other accounts. I dislike unknowns, but I also hate to lose my oldest revolving account. I have an old revolving account from the 90's that is going to drop off this year... so I'm reluctant to just walk away from Cap 1.

I'll do it rather than pay $59 though.

Message 9 of 15
BoysMumx2
Frequent Contributor

follow up - I decided to quit waffling and go for it. It was denied. I'll check my reports, but I don't think they even did hard pulls. I answered that I'm an existing cardholder and I'm sure they went strictly off that history, which suggests to me that we're a done deal.

Okey dokey, now I know. And if it didn't cost me hards, I'm fine with this answer. Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.