Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap 1 not accepted?

tag
steel_string
Regular Contributor

Re: Cap 1 not accepted?

I think the lady time I saw one of the old carbon paper machines was on American Pickers.
Chase Sapphire Preferred ($24.005k), Fidelity VS ($17K), United MileagePlus Explorer ($17K), Chase Freedom ($15K), Chase Freedom Unlimited ($15K), AmEx Blue Cash ($12.5K), IHG One Rewards Premier ($6.1K), US Bank Cash+ ($5K)
Message 31 of 35
steel_string
Regular Contributor

Er, last time. Is there not a way to edit posts on mobile here?
Chase Sapphire Preferred ($24.005k), Fidelity VS ($17K), United MileagePlus Explorer ($17K), Chase Freedom ($15K), Chase Freedom Unlimited ($15K), AmEx Blue Cash ($12.5K), IHG One Rewards Premier ($6.1K), US Bank Cash+ ($5K)
Message 32 of 35
UncleB
Credit Mentor

The last time I saw one was probably around 2005; one of the doctors I once used would use an imprinter (knuckle buster) then hand-write in the auth code from one of the old square gray Verifone boxes.

I will say that I can see how an old imprinter could be useful if a merchant's POS were to go down for some reason.  Security issues aside, having an imprint is a step-up from just hand-writing the number (and back in the day could get a better processor discount, too... not to mention being helpful in the event of a chargeback). 

When my HSBC was first changed over to Quicksilver One, I was actually concerned there might be places I would be unable to use it, since the Mastercard rules tell merchants if an imprint is required and the customer has a 'flat' card, they are permitted to ask for another payment method.  It appears my fears were unwarranted, though, as I've not encountered a offline merchant in years.

Good times.... LOL

Message 33 of 35
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

For those with the flat number cards, can you not request the custom card design? Those come with regular numbers, and the last time I saw ye ole swiper was in yellow cabs.
Signature needs updating
Message 34 of 35
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Imperfectfuture wrote:
For those with the flat number cards, can you not request the custom card design? Those come with regular numbers, and the last time I saw ye ole swiper was in yellow cabs.

Yeah, I later found out that was an option (at least with Quicksilver), but ironically just as I was actually growing fond of the 'flat' card they reissued my card with the EMV chip, and the numbers are embossed again... LOL.

Once again, the only thing constant is change.   Smiley Very Happy

Message 35 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.