Cap 1 secured card question

tag
SpeedingWheels
Contributor

Re: Cap 1 secured card question

@PrettyGyrl wrote:

@2FixMyCredit wrote:

Oh perfection, thank you Wolf!

@Prettygirl-did you have to put a deposit on the BOA and USBANK? 

Yes $300 on both. I'm kicking myself because now I want to increase the BOA to $500 but I don't know how!

You should be able to increase your deposit with BoA to up the limit. 

I've never had a BoA card so I don't know for sure that they allow that, but I imagine they do. 

Walmart Discover ($5000) - Amazon ($5500) - Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2000) - Meijer ($5000) - Discover More ($1800) - Car Care One ($2100) - Amex Delta Skymiles ($2000) - Citi Thank You Preferred ($2000) - Chase Freedom ($500) - Sam's Club, GE ($1237?)
Message 11 of 24
2FixMyCredit
Established Contributor

I give up for now.  I can't even get approved for secured card, which is ridiculous!  Cap 1 denied me for the secured card Smiley Sad

We couldn't approve you for the Capital One Secured Credit Card

Total CL: $40k+
Discover, BOA, GE, Cap 1, Chase, Barclay!
Gardening Start: 04/22/2013

Message 12 of 24
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@2FixMyCredit wrote:

I give up for now.  I can't even get approved for secured card, which is ridiculous!  Cap 1 denied me for the secured card Smiley Sad

Sorry to hear that.    There should be a reason in the mail.   Let us know when you get it and we can advise.  

There are other secured cards who are almost guaranteed but terms and fees are usually worse.   But you may have to start there.    I got turned down for USBank secured card when I started rebuild and had to get a an OpenSky to build enough history to get a Captial One secured card.  

Message 13 of 24
distantarray
Established Contributor

@2FixMyCredit wrote:

Wells Fargo is the easiest nationwide bank to give you a secured card. you should go there they'll even approve 550 for a mortgage.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 14 of 24
2FixMyCredit
Established Contributor

That is who I bank through for the last 2 + years but I really want a card that doesn't report as secured.

Does opensky report as secured?

Message 15 of 24
Robertwd82
New Contributor

Is there anyone close to you that will add you as an authorized user to their card?  Preferably one with some age to it, low utilization and good history of payments.

That would boost your score a bit and make it easier to get approved. 

Message 16 of 24
2FixMyCredit
Established Contributor

Unfortunately no, my brothers all have horrible credit and my mom is disabled so she can't get any credit either. 

Message 17 of 24
PrettyGyrl
Frequent Contributor

Sorry to hear that!

Started from the bottom, now I'm here: 4/20/15: EX-674 TU 704 EQ-677
TU-Clean...EQ & EX-1 Paid Collections & 1 Judgement
T minus 4 months until Operation EE!!
Goal: 750 Across the board! AMEX Approved! Living in the Garden
Message 18 of 24
Robertwd82
New Contributor

You can get an Applied bank card.  That was my first card, and i had a lower credit score than you.  I started with 300 and only used it for very small purchases because they charge you the 9.9% interest as soon as you use it, not after the due date.  

Once you have that for a few months you should be able to get a capital one unsecured.  

You should try to recon Cap One.

Message 19 of 24
sakhalin070
Frequent Contributor

I'm sorry to hear that.  If recon doesn't work, there is always (as a last resort) FirstPremier and CreditOne.  They suck, but if you can't get approved for any other secured cards, you might want to be with them for a bit to rebuild your credit.  From what I've read, they will give credit to anyone; but with a nasty fee and hellish APR rate with terrible CS.

AMEX BCE, Discover IT, Citi Forward, BoA Travel Rewards, Barclaycard Cash Forward
Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.