Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap 1 secured/when to app for unsecured

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap 1 secured/when to app for unsecured

I am coming up on my 5th statement with my cap 1 secure card. Everything month it has been paid in full, early, with just a small balance remaining. Is there a certain amount of time of having their secured card and being responsible with it they'll approve you for an unsecured card? 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Erusidhion
Frequent Contributor

Re: Cap 1 secured/when to app for unsecured

It depends on your credit file really. What is your current 3 FICO scores? How many derogatories (bankruptcy/collections/lates) do you have? The Capital One Platinum Classic, Platinum and Quicksilver One are pretty easy to get. The Journey/Secured seem to be their 'subprime' cards. You can only have two of these at once. Capital One allows you a maximum of 5 cards through them.

Most people's journey consists of:

Obtain 'Capital One Secured'

Wait 6-12 months

Obtain 'Capital One Platinum, Platinum Classic, Quicksilver One' - Pick 2 of these and apply for both right after another

Wait 6-12 months

Obtain 'Capital One Quicksilver/Venture/VentureOne' - Pick 2 of these and apply for both right after another

Check for Product Change from the prior Quicksilver One/Platinum/Platinum Classic into Quicksilvers.

Some things to note:

1. Apply for two cards that you want at the same time because it'll only count as one HP and not two.

2. You can re-apply/apply for another Capital One card 45 days after an approval/denial.

3. You can start hitting the CLI button usually starting after the third statement for all cards but NOT Secured. I don't know much about the Journey.

4. After a CLI, wait 3 statements again and try once a month after every statement cuts. 

5. Capital One WILL take care of you as long as you make all your payments on time!

This is all general information. I am not sure if I forgot anything but that's the general way that Capital One operates. Hopefully others can chime in for you with their experience and I'll update my post if any information may be wrong.

Good luck to you my friend!

EQ 654 -- 43 Inquiries
TU 695 -- 54 Inquiries
EX 668 -- 50 Inquiries

Utilization: 9% AAoA: 20 months Total History: 3Y
Updated: 08/04/2017 Premier 3B
Message 2 of 3
Pway
Valued Contributor

Re: Cap 1 secured/when to app for unsecured

You have done great with your secured card with capital one.  I say go ahead and pull the trigger on another capital one product, Platinum or QS1. 

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.