Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap 1 strategy

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Cap 1 strategy

I have a venture card at a 10k limit for two years. Initially it was five and then after six months I went to EO and got it to 10k. Since then I have hit the love button several times and have gotten nothing. The card has been in the sock drawer since Jan. AF is about to hit as I enter the third year with this card. Do I have any sort of chance at a CLI? What are the chances of getting AF waived? If I can't get AF waived I am going to downgrade to QS and SD card. I would like an increased credit line to help with util when I do not renew some of my other cards in the future. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap 1 strategy

If the card doesn't show activity that might be a good reason why your not getting a CLI. Unfortunately from what I hear csr nor EO will do a CLI. The luv button is your only choice Imo. I would however down grade to the venture one since you don't seem to send too much on it. Latley cap1 has been on another level so I don't see an issue with a product change. If it were me QSV is better 1.5 % rather then 1.25% good luck
Message 2 of 16
JcT21
Frequent Contributor

do you use them a lot?  ive heard that cap1 likes heavy usage / lot of swipes.   im a heavy cap1 user.  i run everything i can through my cap1 cards and pif except i let a small balance on my wmc report each month and thats the only report that hits my credit reports.  that said, ive never had a problem getting cli from cap1.    i was able to PC my qs1 to the qs with no af.  

i rarely use my barclay and discover cards.  thus i have a very difficult time getting cli's   i think the key is that if you use them, they should return the luv.  so far its worked with me and cap1

fico scores - March 2024:
TU - 727 | EX - 732 | EQ - 736 |
TCL - 168K - UTIL - less than 1%
Message 3 of 16
red259
Super Contributor

@JcT21 wrote:

do you use them a lot?  ive heard that cap1 likes heavy usage / lot of swipes.   im a heavy cap1 user.  i run everything i can through my cap1 cards and pif except i let a small balance on my wmc report each month and thats the only report that hits my credit reports.  that said, ive never had a problem getting cli from cap1.    i was able to PC my qs1 to the qs with no af.  

i rarely use my barclay and discover cards.  thus i have a very difficult time getting cli's   i think the key is that if you use them, they should return the luv.  so far its worked with me and cap1

Nope I don't use my cap 1 card at all. I have other cards that offer me a better return. Unfortunatly, I can't see shifting my spend on the hope I will get a CLI with cap 1. If it was a guarantee maybe, but in general that is just too much of a loss for me and I kinda figured this would be the issue. 

;
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Look at it from their point of view. Why give more credit when you dont use what you have.

Message 5 of 16
Creditwiser
Valued Contributor

@JcT21 wrote:

Ditto on 1st paragraph.

NFCU Visa 30k | NFCU Platinum 30k | Cap1 QS 12K | Cap1 QS 11.5K | Barclay MC 9k | Delta Gold Amex 30K | Discover IT 14K | CFNA FS 3200 | CareCredit 20k| Paypal Credit 5k |
Message 6 of 16
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Look at it from their point of view. Why give more credit when you dont use what you have.

Same can be said for amex giving me way more than I ever use. Or maybe they should look at my other card limitis and see I have over double their credit line on other cards and those cards are the ones I am using. The problem is I doubt most people worry about util, so lenders probably don't factor that in as a consideration. 

;
Message 7 of 16
Pway
Valued Contributor

I agree with all the others here.  Capital One likes to see a lot of useage.  When my limits was low I was paying 2 to 3 times a month.  If there is no useage they are not likely to give you a CLI

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@red259 wrote:

I have a venture card at a 10k limit for two years. Initially it was five and then after six months I went to EO and got it to 10k. Since then I have hit the love button several times and have gotten nothing. The card has been in the sock drawer since Jan. AF is about to hit as I enter the third year with this card. Do I have any sort of chance at a CLI? What are the chances of getting AF waived? If I can't get AF waived I am going to downgrade to QS and SD card. I would like an increased credit line to help with util when I do not renew some of my other cards in the future. 

What other cards and credit limits are on your bureaus? I always try to analyze a report as there is more to the equation than having a $10,000 limit card with a $59 AF for 2 years. A card with that type of limit is to be cherished. Those type of limits aren't to be obtained easily. Plus you have history with the card. You income and debt to income could be an issue.

A $59 AF is chump change. You could make a few automatic payments to the card monthly. I would never treat a 5 figure CL lightly. You worked hard to get it. 

Message 9 of 16
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

What other cards and credit limits are on your bureaus? I always try to analyze a report as there is more to the equation than having a $10,000 limit card with a $59 AF for 2 years. A card with that type of limit is to be cherished. Those type of limits aren't to be obtained easily. Plus you have history with the card. You income and debt to income could be an issue.

A $59 AF is chump change. You could make a few automatic payments to the card monthly. I would never treat a 5 figure CL lightly. You worked hard to get it. 

Its an ok credit line but I have  a chase hyatt at 21k, a CS at 12k, a Amex BCE at 17.1k, an amex everyday at 15k and two citi cards which I can't remember right now but they are both above 10k . There is no way I will pay the AF for a card in a SD with no benefits. I can downgrade to QS in order to keep account open.The problem is some of my other cards do not have downgrade options and can be a real pain to move credit lines with. Therefore, I would want to buff up the credit lines of cards I can keep open long term to help with my util.  

;
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.