Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One AF waived?

tag
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Cap One AF waived?

I have read that some people have been successful at getting Cap One to waive the AF. My card is coming up on 1 yr, so I called today to either have the fee waived or cancel the card. The rep in retention (American) told me that she didn't know if my fee could be waived or not because I hadn't been charged the fee yet (!). And that the only way to know if the fee would be waived would be to wait until I was charged the fee and *then* call and ask them to waive it. Of course, by then, they have you over a barrel, because you're on the hook for the AF if they decide they're not going to waive it. That makes ZERO sense to me!

She was completely ready to close the card right on the spot without making ANY attempt to retain me as a customer. Frankly, I think the "retention" dept. should be called the "we couldn't care less if you cancel your card" dept!

Since my stmt date is a couple of days away, I decided to hold off on closing the acct.

Anyway, I'd like to know from anyone who has successfully gotten an AF waived from CapOne if that rings true or not. Did you have to wait until you were charged the fee *before* asking them to waive it? Has anyone gotten the fee waived *before* it was charged for the upcoming year?

Thanks! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Re: Cap One AF waived?

I'm not sure its the same thing as getting a AF waived, but when I closed a Cap-1 card the other night I noticed the next day they automatically credited the AF back to me. I didn't ask and its one of those where its monthly ($36/12 = billed at $3 a month). Good thing I have other accounts with Cap-1, otherwise I'd have a $3 credit on a closed account (they might still send me a check, who knows).

Message 2 of 18
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Im interested too, my yearly is coming up and my Prime cards are bullying th subprimes out of the wallet!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 18
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:
Im interested too, my yearly is coming up and my Prime cards are bullying th subprimes out of the wallet!

right there with u about the bullying lol.... all i have is prime cards in it lol ....cant wait to get rid of cap1..called the sr account line and the basiclly told me my CL is going to stay there

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 4 of 18
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

As is usual with Cap1 there is some inconsistancy with what the CSRs are telling people about getting AFs waived.    Some have reported being told the same thing that you were told.   In other cases people have been able to get the fee waived before it posted.   YMMV.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 18
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

I have read that some people have been successful at getting Cap One to waive the AF. My card is coming up on 1 yr, so I called today to either have the fee waived or cancel the card. The rep in retention (American) told me that she didn't know if my fee could be waived or not because I hadn't been charged the fee yet (!). And that the only way to know if the fee would be waived would be to wait until I was charged the fee and *then* call and ask them to waive it. Of course, by then, they have you over a barrel, because you're on the hook for the AF if they decide they're not going to waive it. That makes ZERO sense to me!

She was completely ready to close the card right on the spot without making ANY attempt to retain me as a customer. Frankly, I think the "retention" dept. should be called the "we couldn't care less if you cancel your card" dept!

Since my stmt date is a couple of days away, I decided to hold off on closing the acct.

Anyway, I'd like to know from anyone who has successfully gotten an AF waived from CapOne if that rings true or not. Did you have to wait until you were charged the fee *before* asking them to waive it? Has anyone gotten the fee waived *before* it was charged for the upcoming year?

Thanks! Smiley Happy

She retained you as a customer, right?  Smiley Wink 

I'd cancel the card.  I'm holding on to Capital One right now because I can't apply for anything else until we close on our house and it is my only card that isn't on the Amex network.  As soon as I replace it, I am closing it.  I don't care if they say they are going to waive the AF.  I have no intention of using the card anymore, and I'll just be calling them next year to go through the same process.  One phone call a year really isn't that much effort, but it's more than I care to deal with for a card I don't intend to use.  And I definitely am not interested in having to wait until they charge me a fee and then have to argue with them over whether I have to pay it. 

ETA:  Also, no one should really be surprised on this one if they won't waive the AF.  It doesn't matter if they did it for someone else.  This is exactly the kind of thing that you should expect to be YMMV.  Looking at my account, I wouldn't waive the AF if I were them.  I never use their card.  And setting aside usage, they can't waive it for everyone. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 18
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Thanks, pizzadude! I'll try again with a different rep, and see what happens. Smiley Happy

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 7 of 18
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

@bichonmom wrote:

Thanks! Smiley Happy

She retained you as a customer, right?  Smiley Wink 

I'd cancel the card.  I'm holding on to Capital One right now because I can't apply for anything else until we close on our house and it is my only card that isn't on the Amex network.  As soon as I replace it, I am closing it.  I don't care if they say they are going to waive the AF.  I have no intention of using the card anymore, and I'll just be calling them next year to go through the same process.  One phone call a year really isn't that much effort, but it's more than I care to deal with for a card I don't intend to use.  And I definitely am not interested in having to wait until they charge me a fee and then have to argue with them over whether I have to pay it. 

Well, only for 2 days! I just want this month's statement to close with the acct open, so I'll have 12 mos on the acct. After than I will close it if they don't waive the AF. I am SO tired of getting the runaround from them! Smiley Frustrated

Message 8 of 18
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@bichonmom wrote:

Thanks, pizzadude! I'll try again with a different rep, and see what happens. Smiley Happy

Good idea ~ let us know what they tell you THIS time.....Cat Very Happy

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

There have been reports on flyertalk of people being able to get the annual fee wavied on the Venture for the second year. Typically it is people who have charged about 8-10k at least on the card in the last year, then the CSR says they can waive the fee for the second year only. It would be charged for the 3rd year and forward no matter what.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.