cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One CLI Denial

tag
BigOuch

Cap One CLI Denial

I've been rebuilding my credit over the past 5 years. Went from a 630 to a 750 in that timespan.  Back in the first year of repair, I applied for and was approved for a Capital One "Platinum" (lol) card.  Basically, their lowest tiered non-secured card.  It had a $300. starting credit limit.  I was in the credit steps program.  Eventually got the first CLI to $500., and was then told that's the limit to that card.  Long story short, that isn't true.  Got to $1500 upon soft pull request.  Up to $3k without warning (one of the quirks of Cap One).  Finally, the last CLI soft pull brought it to $3500 last year.  I also have a Quicksilver MC that went from $1k-4k in a similar fashion. 

So, long story short, I actually make pretty decent money and like the perks of using credit cards and paying them off faster than monthly minimums.  I've graduated to Amex Platinum and US Airways World Premier, but I still keep these two Cap One cards kicking around for credit history length and for use as credit cards.  I use the Amex and Bayclays as charge cards.  The only problem is that $7500 combined isn't actually all that much for me, particularly considering that one shouldn't use more than 30% on average to keep your score in check.  I tried to get another soft pull CLI recently and got letters stated that my monthly minimum payments were too low.  I always clear at least 4x the minium each month and I'm actually carrying a $0 balance on the older card.  I tried to explain that over chat room with Cap One customer service, but that was completely useless.  Is there anything I could do to escalate, or am I just wasting my time.  I'm thinking about just taking the temp hit on my credit report and closing out both cards and apply for a Chase. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap One CLI Denial

I'm no expert, but it seems to me that certain Capital One cards never reach high limits, whereas some of their others do. The Venture and Quicksilver (Visa) seem to be the cards that get the highest limits. Have you thought about applying for one of those cards? You should check their pre-qual and see if either of those cards come up for you. I would do that before closing the other ones.

Message 2 of 4
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

OP through my personal experience Cap one loves to see usage. I'm coming up on 1 year of accounts with two of their cards. Mine started out as a Platinum (lol) and a QS1 and both with $3K limits. After one month I was able to PC both cards so then I ended up with a Venture One (old Platinum) and QS (old QS1). I spent considerably more on the QS than I did the Venture. So when the credit steps kicked in I went from $3K to $5K on the QS, and then $3K to $3.5K on my Venture. I figured due to usage. So I was able to PC my QS to a QS WMC, and now my Venture has been PC'd to another QS. So this last 6 months I have used the $3.5K QS a ton in hopes for the 6 month CLI requests that'll get bumped up to $5K so I can have another WMC, and then hopefully my $5K MC will go up even more because I've used that too.

Long story short... hopefully my heavy usuage with their cards will yield more significant CLI's. 

YMMV

Personal:

Business:

Message 3 of 4
Repairman
Established Contributor

Why would you need to close out both cards? Why not keep them AND apply for another card?

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.