cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One CLI OR Card Consolidation...what should I do first...

tag
Andy77
Valued Contributor

Cap One CLI OR Card Consolidation...what should I do first...

So, as some of you might know I am extremely happy I will be paying 73k of my 97k in debt very soon!!  

I have two cap one cards...one with a 10k limit, balance is 9500...gonna pay that to zero

the other card has a 23k limit and I am gonna pay that card from 22k to 12k

Questi

The rep said I could do a card consolidation with the 10k card because I had never gone over my CLI and I did once by 12.00 on the 23k limit card, so I wanna see if after I pay cap one over 20k in one day to pay my accounts, then wait a month for them to update, .....

should I try for a cli first then try and combine the accounts or what do you think I should do first ?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap One CLI OR Card Consolidation...what should I do first...

If you really need the increase...Do the increase first...Then the combo...The otherway around..from my experience and DH experience, the combo managed to change when we were eligible for the next CLI...both accounts should have been eligible by now but it keeps saying recent change to CL...which I interpret as the combo increased the total CL they are looking at that as an increase.

Message 2 of 9
Andy77
Valued Contributor

Ahhhh ok...if the computers see the account combo as an increase, then I will just do the combo and not request the increase at all then

Thank you for the info !!

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

So going over the credit limit will stop a card combination, or are you saying you're still able to do it despite the $12.00 overage?

Message 4 of 9
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Andy77 wrote:

Ahhhh ok...if the computers see the account combo as an increase, then I will just do the combo and not request the increase at all then

Thank you for the info !!

The computers will see the combo as a CLI, which is why most people will request a CLI on each card before doing the combo... a CLI has no impact on combining accounts.  Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 9
Andy77
Valued Contributor

CSR told me I could not combine to the card that I went over by 12.00.  I have another account, never late, never over CL, etc she said I can combine to that one, just not the one that I went over by the 12 bucks.  I would have to wait a year if I wanted to combine to the Venture

SO...I have to get rid of Venture if I wanna combine and can keep QS Visa Sig, which I am ok with....

Message 6 of 9
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Sounds like a plan, as long as you are good with it!

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 7 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Andy77 wrote:

So, as some of you might know I am extremely happy I will be paying 73k of my 97k in debt very soon!!  

I have two cap one cards...one with a 10k limit, balance is 9500...gonna pay that to zero

Questi

The rep said I could do a card consolidation with the 10k card because I had never gone over my CLI and I did once by 12.00 on the 23k limit card, so I wanna see if after I pay cap one over 20k in one day to pay my accounts, then wait a month for them to update, .....

should I try for a cli first then try and combine the accounts or what do you think I should do first ?

if you want to do both then definitely wait for the cli before the consolidation, otherwise a new cli will be deferred at least 6 mos

but don't just do a consolidation because you can... i consolidated several of my cap one cards, and have been asking myself why

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 8 of 9
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Andy77 wrote:

Questi

if you want to do both then definitely wait for the cli before the consolidation, otherwise a new cli will be deferred at least 6 mos

but don't just do a consolidation because you can... i consolidated several of my cap one cards, and have been asking myself why

+1

I'm keeping my cards separate because they have different BT offers... the older QS MasterCard has a lower APR and offers no-fee balance transfers, but with no promotional period.  On the other hand, the QS Visa has a standing offer for a balance transfer at 0% for 12 months for a 3% fee. 

Depending on the circumstances either could be a better deal, so I keep them separate.  Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.