Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One Credit Limit help

tag
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Cap One Credit Limit help

Hi community members,

I just got off the phone with customer service supervisor from a 25 min call that was going nowhere. This is the summary of my case with Cap One Q/S so far:

Card age: 14 months. Beginning limit: $500 (Platinum). Current limit: $2000 (Quicksilver). Last increase: in Aug, 2013. High credit: ~$1400.

Utilization in last 3 months: 0%, 50%, 25%. Avg reported balance in the previous year when it was a no-reward platinum: ~25-30%. 

I asked for a CLI through their online request, twice in 2 months. Got the same response: "Recent use of this account's existing credit line has been too low".

I do not understand this. I use the card almost every month. I used it even when there were no rewards because it was a mastercard and my univ did not accept visa. The CSR and her supervisor gave me a horde of excuses, even telling me to use their credit tracker to figure out what was happening.

I have never kept a balance on this card, and never missed a payment. Overall, I have no missed payments with any other cards.

I do have balances on other cards (0% APR, paying over the term of the free credit). My overall utilization this month would be about 45%. Current FICO scores are TU 653, EX 663, EQ 630. Cap One pulled EQ. I am set to bring down the utilization by 5% every month, so in 5 months I'd hit a nice 20% spot. 

I like the Q/S rewards, and I intend to garden.

But the limits are not just good enough to buy some air tickets + vacation. I do not want to apply for other cards to get travel or flat 1.5-2% rewards (more inquiry, lower scores, maybe worse limits).

What are my options? I'll need those tickets to be bought by July. 

Thanks for reading (and replying). 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Cap One Credit Limit help

Your overall utilization is the real reason... As far as the tickets and credit avail for vacation if you dont get the increase you will have to buy what you can buy with the 2K and make payment as soon as it posts. I used to push 2500+ a month thru a Cap-1 card with a 500 CL, just made multiple payments in a months time.

Message 2 of 6
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

Your overall utilization is the real reason... As far as the tickets and credit avail for vacation if you dont get the increase you will have to buy what you can buy with the 2K and make payment as soon as it posts. I used to push 2500+ a month thru a Cap-1 card with a 500 CL, just made multiple payments in a months time.

Dear gdale6,

Thanks for the response. 

I guessed as much, but their letter did not mention this at all. I thought they'd value my relationship with them more than this. 

So there's not much point in asking them for an increase in the next say 3-5 months? 

I could buy multiple tickets; I'd probably not get the best deals (worse still, separate seats etc). 

Probably that's how it is. 

Message 3 of 6
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Ghoshida wrote:

Hi community members,

I just got off the phone with customer service supervisor from a 25 min call that was going nowhere. This is the summary of my case with Cap One Q/S so far:

Card age: 14 months. Beginning limit: $500 (Platinum). Current limit: $2000 (Quicksilver). Last increase: in Aug, 2013. High credit: ~$1400.

Utilization in last 3 months: 0%, 50%, 25%. Avg reported balance in the previous year when it was a no-reward platinum: ~25-30%. 

I asked for a CLI through their online request, twice in 2 months. Got the same response: "Recent use of this account's existing credit line has been too low".

I do not understand this. I use the card almost every month. I used it even when there were no rewards because it was a mastercard and my univ did not accept visa. The CSR and her supervisor gave me a horde of excuses, even telling me to use their credit tracker to figure out what was happening.

I have never kept a balance on this card, and never missed a payment. Overall, I have no missed payments with any other cards.

I do have balances on other cards (0% APR, paying over the term of the free credit). My overall utilization this month would be about 45%. Current FICO scores are TU 653, EX 663, EQ 630. Cap One pulled EQ. I am set to bring down the utilization by 5% every month, so in 5 months I'd hit a nice 20% spot. 

But the limits are not just good enough to buy some air tickets + vacation. I do not want to apply for other cards to get travel or flat 1.5-2% rewards (more inquiry, lower scores, maybe worse limits).

If you're not having success with the CSRs, you could try contacting tthe EO.  However, given your lowish EQ scores (big reason is probably UTIL), I'm not sure how far they'll get you.   I think your best bet is to push that UTIL down much lower, let it report, and then contact the EO. 

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 4 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@Ghoshida wrote:

Hi community members,

If you're not having success with the CSRs, you could try contacting tthe EO.  However, given your lowish EQ scores (big reason is probably UTIL), I'm not sure how far they'll get you.   I think your best bet is to push that UTIL down much lower, let it report, and then contact the EO. 

+1

Message 5 of 6
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Yes, the overall high utilization prevented me from calling any backdoor number. 

I'll take a shot again in July. EO might not be the best option now. 

From some other posts on this forum, I have a feeling however that Cap One does not give second increases easily. My highest limit is 3k, and I doubt if they'll match even that in near future. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.